Cooking eye of round for 30-35 people

dataz722

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have been asked to cook pit beef for 30-35 people. Does anyone know what kind of loss in weight I can expect during cooking? It will be hot and fast on a grill.

Thanks.

Good question. I'd guess 15% or so shrinkage.
Que for pork and brisket is around 40% or so but there is so much more waste and connective tissue.

I cook a lot of Eye of the Round for jerky.

If you trim the outer fat, the yield is huge from there---85-95% in my opinion.

It is so lean, there is almost nothing but moisture to cook out.

TIM

Eye of round for pit beef? We use Eye of Round for roast beef quite often - in pit at 265 until 140. Cool, slice thin, and serve in au jus. Pit beef to me means top round grilled to medium at a higer heat to get some char and sliced thin "on weck" so i'd stay away from Eye of Round. Loss will be minimal. Maybe 15%.

Ok, thanks. I was thinking that it was going to be fairly low. So probably 8oz raw per person should be plenty then.

Eye of round for pit beef? We use Eye of Round for roast beef quite often - in pit at 265 until 140. Cool, slice thin, and serve in au jus. Pit beef to me means top round grilled to medium at a higer heat to get some char and sliced thin "on weck" so i'd stay away from Eye of Round. Loss will be minimal. Maybe 15%.

No, you're right on your thinking of what I mean by pit beef but the eye is just what I have used before. I know it is normally top round but the eye is just easier to handle on my slicer.

Back