Hey Pepper Growers!

VitaminQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Do habaneros ripen on the vine? I've got some that have been hangin' there green for a week and a half and aren't changing color. Should I pick 'em?

I haven't grown any in a couple of years, but used to. We always took them from the plant green and they were dynamite!

Are they supposed to change color? For some reason I didn't thnk so.

Go ahead and try one if you haven't already, but be VERY CAREFUL.

We had a tough kid across the street that THOUGHT he could eat anything hot. We warned him to no avail. He took a bite, said that they were not so hot, and then took a second bite. He spent the next hour crying and asking what he could do to stop the burning. It was too late though.

timzcardz said:
He spent the next hour crying and asking what he could do to stop the burning. It was too late though.

Milk is the best to cut the burn, hold it in you mouth spit it out do it again and again.

timzcardz said:
Are they supposed to change color? For some reason I didn't thnk so.

All the habs I've ever seen were orange, so that's what I'm expecting. I'll pick a few tonight and see what happens.

Found the following info on ripening:

"For continued cropping, pick the fruit as soon as they start to colour and ripen off the plant."

"They take much longer than most other hot peppers before they will change color. They may be green for a month before they will turn orange or red. I don't know of a way of speeding up the process. They should be as hot. The flavor deepens as they ripen, but the heat should still be that burn your tongue to the point it hurts heat."

I guess that I am going to have to learn to be more patient!

Thanks for the tip, Timzcardz. Patience has never been one of my virtues, but maybe for some good peppers I can learn!

Hey Pepper Growers

I've got a nice potted plant with about 30 ripening peppers on it, they are all turning a nice orange color. Should pick them this week.
Scott

VitaminQ said:
Do habaneros ripen on the vine? I've got some that have been hangin' there green for a week and a half and aren't changing color. Should I pick 'em?
Sure you ca pick`em and use`em. Leave on there longer and they should turn yellow, orange or even red. Those will be the best tasting one`s as they will be fully ripen.

I've got 3 Habanero plants going. Who was the brother who sent out the seeds? Anyway, I've got a few ripe ones now. I planted things a bit late. They take a while to turn orange, then finally red. I have never picked them while still green.

ebay010.jpg

Alton Brown said the other night that hot peppers while still green (not ripe) are hotter than when ripened. The capsium in the pepper is more strong to help ward off pests in the unripened fruit as opposed to ripend

I've got my plant growing in an unfortunate location, unluckily. Most of my yard is shaded; the garden gets about two hours of late morning sun and that's pretty much it. The hab plant has gotten huge, though. I counted about 25 peppers on it last night, but they're all green. I think planted it in May, and didn't even see any blooms until about a month ago. My best guess is that it's not getting enough sun to kick along like it should. But I'm evidently the world's worst gardener if the rest of my yard is any indication, so what the fark do I know? I'm gonna wait until they turn color, then pick em and figure out what to do with them Maybe ADTs or some hab vinegar.

let em ripen on the vine and give your trees a good pruning to allow more sunlight. Also consider digging them up beforw the first hard frost and overwinter them inside. That way, place the containers outside next spring (in full sunlight) and you'll have ripe peppers to pick in short order.

I'll provide more info on "overwintering' if anyone wants it.

elvis67 said:
Alton Brown said the other night that hot peppers while still green (not ripe) are hotter than when ripened. The capsium in the pepper is more strong to help ward off pests in the unripened fruit as opposed to ripend

I always wondered why only beautifully red ripened peppers have worm holes in`em. One thing I do know about peppers. When they are at their fullest ripness, they will have a sweet taste to`em. Obviously a pepper like a hab or a jap will still be hot, but if it is fully ripen, it`ll be at it`s best flavor.

That goes for the non hot peppers too, like bell peppers.

Mark said:
let em ripen on the vine and give your trees a good pruning to allow more sunlight. Also consider digging them up beforw the first hard frost and overwinter them inside. That way, place the containers outside next spring (in full sunlight) and you'll have ripe peppers to pick in short order.

I'll provide more info on "overwintering' if anyone wants it.

I need more than pruning, I need complete tree removal. Unfortunately, there are a lot of houses and power lines in the way. It's going to be a major project when I finally get around to it.

I would like to overwinter this plant. Do you think I could do it in the garage?

VitaminQ said:
I need more than pruning, I need complete tree removal. Unfortunately, there are a lot of houses and power lines in the way. It's going to be a major project when I finally get around to it.

I would like to overwinter this plant. Do you think I could do it in the garage?

Not if it gets below freezing. You also need fluorescent lights, preferrably on timers.

I'm reluctant to have any houseplants right now. With two kids under three, it just seems like a bad idea. I managed to overwinter some rosemary last year by putting it in the garage over the coldest snaps, but I don't think that the hab would react the same way. I might just have to let it go.

Trout: But yuy didn't inhale, right?

ViatminQ: One way of over wintering habs is to prune them back to green sticks. As long as they stay green, they'll come back rapidly the following spring.

I might try that, Mark. At the very least I'll hold on to some seeds and try to start them next January.

Back