another cook time question...

Big Sexy

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Going to try my first chuckie today.

Cooking at 225-240 range; should I expect to be done about 1 hr per pound?

I was going to do it just like a butt; foil at 160, done at 200-205.
Does that sound right?

thanks in advance.

Crank up the heat if you can. Maybe keep it low for an hour or so then bump it up to 300-325. Foil is optional as always. I find I like the crusty bark more on beef so I try not to foil unless necessary due to time. Depending on the size of the chuckie, cooking at 300 should get it done in a decent amount of time. Also, if you foil you can add some liquid (apple cider, beer, broth, etc.) to the meat once in the foil.

Also, since its your first I would say to keep it simple as you are planning. But for your next one, give this a whirl:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95507

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94382

IMAG0295.jpg

Hey BS - chuckies can take a long time - once had a 4 pounder tale 11 hours. Yes - you read that correctly. Cooked it at 225/230.
I always allow 1.5/pound then add 2 hours. If it gets done sooner then that, into a warm dry cooler it goes.
Good luck and have fun!

I cook mine at about 300 as well and foil at 165 internal temp. I can't tell a difference in the final product and it is done much quicker.

Hey BS - chuckies can take a long time - once had a 4 pounder tale 11 hours. Yes - you read that correctly. Cooked it at 225/230.
I always allow 1.5/pound then add 2 hours. If it gets done sooner then that, into a warm dry cooler it goes.
Good luck and have fun!

I'm glad I asked this about the cooking time; I would have never thought it would have taken that long.

I don't think that I'm going to be able to cook in the 300 range. I'm going to have some butts & briskets in the pit as well, and I don't like to cook that hot with those larger pieces of meat.

I do butts at about 250 and brisket at 300. I just found my brisket turns out better at a higher temp.

Back