Drum Deflowering.........PRON

BobBrisket

Reaction score
Well, I couldn't wait. I was only going to season with fire only, but what a waste of coal and cherry chunks. Went to Wally's and found some rib tips marked down and PORK BRISKET! Who's seen this stuff before? Who's smoked it before? It's still in the fridge. Looks like a thin rack of ribs with no bones. Worth a try for 4 bucks and change.
The UDS is VERY sensitive to vents adjustments. It's humming at 225 with only one vent about 1/4 open. It shot up to almost 300 at one point. I like this cooker. Dusted tips with Smoking Willies, courtesy of a buddy in Albuquerque who went to the Fiery Foods Festival. Will glaze with Ft.Worth habanero sauce I found at Wally's.

Click pics to enlarge. I had to do them this way cause cell phone pics were like farking billboards.

It's in the fridge. I didn't have space on the drum. Now I see why two grates are better than one!! I wanted to see if anyone has ever seen those things or smoked em before I went and messed it up. Looks like it should smoke up pretty nice.

It all looks really good. I like your vent design its quick and simple. Is that a weber kettle base/flange wedged in there?

Nice Bob! How is the "flange" working for you?

It all looks really good. I like your vent design its quick and simple. Is that a weber kettle base/flange wedged in there?

The flange is working great. The lid fits like a glove. There was a little smoke leakage but nothing major.

Those vents are super easy to control the temp.............super fine tuning!! I "borrowed" the idea since there was no patent pending. There should be a patent. They work great.:wink: Thanks JD!

Last edited:
Those vents are super easy to control the temp.............super fine tuning!! I "borrowed" the idea since there was no patent pending. There should be a patent. They work great.:wink:
They look easy enough to make but I am curious if you bought them like that?

Nope........JD's design. They are just strips of sheet metal with a bend and rough edges trimmed off.

Chime in with some info on your design JD!!

Done....

I can see why these drums have such a following.......very different flavor when the meat is directly over the coals and the fat is burning off. Even the smell was different.

They were great. It's going to take some practice to figure out this bad boy. But I'm ready.

The tips are fantastic.

Thank you all so much for the UDS building tips. I called my dad earlier. Guess what, he wants one!:-D

Nope........JD's design. They are just strips of sheet metal with a bend and rough edges trimmed off.

Chime in with some info on your design JD!!

You said it all brother...nothin' fancy! :p

I can see why these drums have such a following.......very different flavor when the meat is directly over the coals and the fat is burning off. Even the smell was different.

They were great. It's going to take some practice to figure out this bad boy. But I'm ready.

The tips are fantastic.

Thank you all so much for the UDS building tips. I called my dad earlier. Guess what, he wants one!:-D

Congrats on the new toy!! You'll find that it will soon be your "go to" cooker.

My buddy liked the tabs...........he said they reminded him of beer pull tabs!
Drum worked like a charm. I really like it.

Can't wait to see your next build, JD.:-D

I love my drum so much I want to build another one. Dad wants one and he wants me to build one when he goes to Newyork.

The tips are fantastic.

Congrats bro, you are officially a Drumhead!!
Nice job on the vent's, you can get rid of all your other cookers now...:twisted:

welcome to the world of the drumheads, enjoy the drum. smoke on Bro. :-D:cool:

Back