That is exactly what I have, so my materials list is getting smaller by the hour

Just finishing up my new UDS. I have a question that I haven't seen mentioned.

Do you remove the gasket around the drum lid? I know it'll seal better with it, but I'm afraid it'll melt and/or give off gasses or fumes from heating up.

Just finishing up my new UDS. I have a question that I haven't seen mentioned.

Do you remove the gasket around the drum lid? I know it'll seal better with it, but I'm afraid it'll melt and/or give off gasses or fumes from heating up.

Definately. Some come out easily, some not. If you have difficulty heat it a little, use a toothbrush type wire brush followed by WD40 and a little brushing and wash with a degreaser, or handful of Tide in warm water.

Definately. Some come out easily, some not. If you have difficulty heat it a little, use a toothbrush type wire brush followed by WD40 and a little brushing and wash with a degreaser, or handful of Tide in warm water.

Thanks. :wink:

My uds is still a work in process - but am getting closer to pictures. My fire basket is 12"x48" of expanded mesh, with a 14" diameter expanded mesh grate 3" from the bottom.

Initially I used the 18" el cheapo table top grill for an an ash pan. It worked, but I felt it was keeping my temperature down. I switched to a 16" commercial pizzia pan this weekend. It is much thicker/stronger than the el cheapo grill.

Temp was marginally better - but was working with minimal charcoal (only had sausage and abt's on the grill. Will run a full test again next smoking.

Anyway, I really liked the Acemart pizzia pan - it was about $8 and about 3/32 thick.

Trying to do this build on the cheap. I was able to score a free King Cook thermometer for frying, can I use this in my barrel?, or do I need to use the types that everybody seems to have?.

Should work. Drill the 1/8" hole about a 1/4" above your grate.
You may have to wallow out the hole a bit to get the probe to slide in. Tighter is better, but you already knew that.:p
That probe is only 5" long but it will get you close enough.

Weiser

Below the grate works better for me.

You're right Doc! I mis-spoke.
Mine is just below also. Above would be a real pain,
especially if you placed a hunk of cool meat on it.

Weiser

Finished up my first UDS this weekend, and test fired it. (Ok finished is a bit of an overstatement - there are still needs a custom paint job, handles, smoke stack, and of course a bottle opener). The test fire left me with a lot of unanswered issues.

The pit currently has 3-3/4x1/2 bushings (set at 3" on outside), the 3"x18" cheep grill ash pan, and a fire basket made of #9 3/4 expanded mesh - 14" diameter, 12" tall - with the fire grill set at 3", and a 2" conduit fitting smokestack.

With a load of approximately 5lbs of terrible wood, and 5lbs of the bottom of a bag of lump, I got 175 with the valve open, 225 with the valve and one nipple open, and 300 with the valve and both nipples open.

Those temps seemed low to me. But hard to say if I work it with 10lbs of dryer lump (and a smoke stack) what the temps will end up. I am worried about the 3" height of the ask tray - I could cut it down, or ventilate it. Seems overkill to change to 1" nipples, but wonder if the bushings 3/4x1/2 bushings are restricting draft. end quote]

Try using charcoal, mine runs better versus the lump. Also loose the ash catcher, it sounds like your fire basket sits to far down into it. Got to let it breathe. If after that you don't get higher temp, you can always add another air inlet. Sounds like you have enough exhaust. Smoke on!!!!!

I agree with dumping the ash pan, sounds like the sides are too high and restricting airflow.
In my opinion, 3-3/4" Intakes are plenty.
I'd be much more concerned with the Exhaust end.

Question: Are you talking about 3/4 inch Intake holes in the drum? I'm proally wrong, but it sounds like you may be using 1/2" nipples. Spank me. :|
Mine runs fine up to 350* but then again I'm using Redneck's 8 1/2" hole system for Exhaust.

Weiser

Finished up my first UDS this weekend, and test fired it. (Ok finished is a bit of an overstatement - there are still needs a custom paint job, handles, smoke stack, and of course a bottle opener). The test fire left me with a lot of unanswered issues.

The pit currently has 3-3/4x1/2 bushings (set at 3" on outside), the 3"x18" cheep grill ash pan, and a fire basket made of #9 3/4 expanded mesh - 14" diameter, 12" tall - with the fire grill set at 3", and a 2" conduit fitting smokestack.

With a load of approximately 5lbs of terrible wood, and 5lbs of the bottom of a bag of lump, I got 175 with the valve open, 225 with the valve and one nipple open, and 300 with the valve and both nipples open.

Those temps seemed low to me. But hard to say if I work it with 10lbs of dryer lump (and a smoke stack) what the temps will end up. I am worried about the 3" height of the ask tray - I could cut it down, or ventilate it. Seems overkill to change to 1" nipples, but wonder if the bushings 3/4x1/2 bushings are restricting draft. end quote]

Try using charcoal, mine runs better versus the lump. Also loose the ash catcher, it sounds like your fire basket sits to far down into it. Got to let it breathe. If after that you don't get higher temp, you can always add another air inlet. Sounds like you have enough exhaust. Smoke on!!!!!

If you want better temps and controll then only use sizable lump and not the shake from the bottom of the bag, it tends to choke. You may also want to blend it ( as mentioned above ) with some good charcoal.

I think that running with one hole and a valve at 225 is perfect and that's where mine runs al say long.

I only have three intakes too and it's perfect.

Ok my take on this. On the ash catcher, When you start your fire you start it at the top of the pile so if it is a 12" tall basket say filled say 10" then the actual coals are not buried or shouded by the pan. Pan is an option not a necessity. Helps in easier clean up. I have found lower temps usually mean not enough coals lit at start, damp or old charcoal, incorrect reading on thermometer, or too long of nipples used which causes poor draw. Lets see a pic of each component of build.

Went back and read it again. The 3/4" X 1/2" bushings are restricting the airflow. The first build I did I used them for a cleaner close look. Had to have 4 to get temps. Since went to 3/4" nipples with caps and it seems to be just about perfect.

Here's my contribution.

Attachments

• DSCN0256.jpg
    DSCN0256.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,511
  • DSCN0260.jpg
    DSCN0260.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,506
  • DSCN0264.jpg
    DSCN0264.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 1,506
  • DSCN0268.jpg
    DSCN0268.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 1,512
Here's my crew...

(Left to Right) # 2 is the one with the Flat-top... Silverbelly is my original UDS... I've been averaging a smoke a week on him since I built him last September. And finally, #3 is the tall one...he scored a rescued Weber Kettle bottom for a lid...a few mods and it worked out pretty good...

Here's my contribution.

Glad to see you have taken the leap. Pretty soon all So Cal Brethren will have at least 1 UDS, oh except Country. And let me clarify that, At least one complete UDS except Country and Brian. Must be something in the first name. :biggrin:

Hey Norco,

What's this pool acid you speak of? Can you be a little more specific with the instructions (how long of a soak)? Would one get the same results by burning the galvanized fittings or is an acid bath the way to go?

Thanks!

Back