Anyone here with a centerfeed stickburner?

HookedOnQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Starting a small patio build (18x50tank) and am torn between reverse flow or center feed. My original plan was to go with reverse flow but im really leaning towards center feed. Looking for some input from anyone with a center feed stick burner. What has your experience been with one and if you had to do it again would you stick with center feed?

18" big enough for reverse flow ? What's center fed - side firebox baffled halfway over?
Or a T shaped smoker with firebox dead center? :twitch:

Crappy drawing but it will give you an idea of what im talking about when I say centerfeed. As for 18in being too small for a reverse flow i've seen smaller so it should be fine. I know its on the small side and I would like 20in but the tank was free so why not use it. Its plenty big for what I need right now.

Attachments

• 1391895019701.jpg
    1391895019701.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 299
I'd try your drawing with smokestack at grate height. :mrgreen: could have a HotSpot in center but looks like you colored in a plate or heat shield or something.

So your assignment is to build it and document along the way with lots of pictures and also of first few cooks then report back to us as you go - with lots of pictures. We like pictures. :thumb:

Oh, and give a Camo paint job - all these Black Smokers are getting BORING. :mrgreen:

the center feed looks pretty nifty I've never used one but it looks like you loose cooking space at both ends because where the heat and smoke come out will be too hot to cook directly over it I know you have the same problem on reverse flow just one end tho

There will be 1/4 in baffle plate all the way across the bottom than above the firebox opening will be a additional 3/8 plate that should help with any hot spots. I will be starting a build thread once I make my mind up and get rolling on this thing.

Which end does the grease drain go on?
How does that work?
jon

Figured I could put a slight slope on the baffle plate and have a drain on the end

Wouldn't that make the heat and smoke favor the higher end and make one side hot and get all the smoke? Maybe it could angle down slightly from the middle in both directions and have a drain on each end.

Myron mixon smokers are center feeds for the most part.

Put a water pan on top and dont forget a drain

Look up Johnson Smokers, if you call him he may be able to provide you more information. she's smokers are also to center feed

No reason to not make a center feed. Some thoughts: first, you don't have to have just one passage from the firebox up to the smokebox. If you had two 6" pipes with baffles, it would help spread the heat out. Second, a lot depends on the design of the heat shield. I think I might make the whole heat shield out of 2 parts sloping down to a center "trench" made of angle iron which would lead the grease sideways to 2" pipe drains going straight down out the bottom where they would drain in use into buckets. I'd also add pipe drains at the lowest points on the ends to use as washout drains - you
DO pressure wash the inside of your smoker, right? Finally, I'd consider instead of adding 3/8" plate to the middle of your heat sink, to use a piece of flat ceramic kiln shelf which you can buy at any pottery supply.

Have fun, the devil's in the details. You can smoke meat with a clay flowerpot and a plate if you're creative enough.

seattlepitboss

Why make it complicated? I would think to add a grease pan under the cooking rack maybe an inch or two off the baffle plate. It wouldn't be as easy as just opening a drain but the chance of a grease fire should be greatly reduced. I had been contemplating a big baby build and have been trying to get around air flow and gravity issues with grease and smoke and that was the best I could come up with.. maybe add a tube to drain after the cooker has cooled a little and drain the pan to a recess on the corner of the cooker and tilt. I am probably making this harder than it needs to be but I have over thought things for 4o years why change now?

Im gonna play around with some ideas for a baffle plate/grease drain shouldnt be hard to come up with something that works.

Why make it complicated? I would think to add a grease pan under the cooking rack maybe an inch or two off the baffle plate. It wouldn't be as easy as just opening a drain but the chance of a grease fire should be greatly reduced. I had been contemplating a big baby build and have been trying to get around air flow and gravity issues with grease and smoke and that was the best I could come up with.. maybe add a tube to drain after the cooker has cooled a little and drain the pan to a recess on the corner of the cooker and tilt. I am probably making this harder than it needs to be but I have over thought things for 4o years why change now?

I know what your saying on overthinking things. I have the same problem. A pan on the baffle plate dont sound like a bad idea.

Back