Looking for guidence on how to trim St.Louis ribs.

MrOneEyedBoh

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Whats up fellas,
Im going to do some St. Louis ribs this weekend. Now from looking around on methods on how to cook them in my UDS, I seen people mention trimming the racks of ribs. The trimmings are then called rib tips, right? How and where does one trim the racks of ribs to get the rib tips? These generally would cook faster I would guess, so when are these done?

Do you still use the general 3-1-1 cooking method on the trimmed racks as you would on whole racks?? What about the pull back on the trimmed racks , does that apply and if so at 1/4"?

Anything else noting on how to run a nice rack of St. Louis ribs?

I plan on doing 200-250 ( where ever my UDS decides to sit on ), Rub it either night before and let it sit around 1 hour pre cook or pull it from the fridge around 2 hours and rub and let it sit on the counter. Then run the 3-1-1- method using the break test and pull back as a reference. Then around 20 mins or so at the end apply sauce.

Is it worth adding anything to the foil when foiling for that one hour? And by foiling, you foil and put back on the UDS not in a cooler, correct?

Oh BTW, I was thinking about doing some beans under the ribs. Not directly under but just a bit to get some fat going in there. Im not going to have bacon in my beans, but maybe some ground beef. Could the beans get too hot from the fire and burn up? Im going to have a deflector plate ( loss of words just now sorry ) about half was up on my UDS.

We run a fairly loose 3-2-1 method on our St L. trimmed spares. Temps are consistent at 250.

Check out some videos on youtube to see how to trim spares St L. style. It's easier to watch it there than it is to explain it here.

Yes, add some type of liquid to the 2 portion of the 3-2-1 method. The wrapped ribs then go back on the smoker for approx 2 hrs.

Sounds like you've got the gist of the rest of the process.

^^^ Start there.

Stop talking till you get this right!

Pay attention!:mod:

Regards

Bill

Whats up fellas,
Im going to do some St. Louis ribs this weekend. Now from looking around on methods on how to cook them in my UDS, I seen people mention trimming the racks of ribs. The trimmings are then called rib tips, right?

Right.

How and where does one trim the racks of ribs to get the rib tips?

I agree with the fellas above. See Bob's walkthrough or look on Youtube... or both.

These generally would cook faster I would guess, so when are these done?

Do you still use the general 3-1-1 cooking method on the trimmed racks as you would on whole racks?? What about the pull back on the trimmed racks , does that apply and if so at 1/4"?

As always, they're done when they're done. You mentioned the break test (or hopefully it will only be the bend test) as a way to check them. That's a great way to check. Your 3-1-1 should be a good estimate though. Wait and see what temp your UDS settles into and judge time from that. If your closer to 200 than 250, you might want to be closer to 3-2-1. No matter what though, they're done when they're done.

Anything else noting on how to run a nice rack of St. Louis ribs?

Have fun and enjoy them.

I plan on doing 200-250 ( where ever my UDS decides to sit on ), Rub it either night before and let it sit around 1 hour pre cook or pull it from the fridge around 2 hours and rub and let it sit on the counter. Then run the 3-1-1- method using the break test and pull back as a reference. Then around 20 mins or so at the end apply sauce.

Sounds great.

Is it worth adding anything to the foil when foiling for that one hour?

It's not necessary, but you can add things to the foil. I like to add some apple juice and apple cider vinegar.

And by foiling, you foil and put back on the UDS not in a cooler, correct?

That's right, back on the cooker while in the foil. 3-2-1 method = 3 hours in the smoke, 2 hours in foil, 1 hour back in the smoke. All 6 hours are over heat though.

It sounds like you've got a great plan in place. I'm sure they'll come out great!

I think you are on the right track. The best advice I can give, is follow Mister Bob's tutorial, and since that has already been recommended; practice, practice, practice.

Thanks guys. All questions answered. Take it easy

question, is the named cuts of pork correct in the picture? Yeah I know haha but Im THAT new to all of this. I named them what I thought they are. For the rib tips, when are they "done" You can bend test them. Can you?

zwi5hc.jpg

Boh, first of all, I'll say that Bob did a tidy trimming to get that shot. I know the first time I trimmed spares to be St. Louis style, the results were no where near that neat.

What you've labeled "bone free pork," I would call trimmings. I usually just throw my trimmings on the grate to cook along with everything else.

What you've labeled "rib tips" will probably take less time than the full slab to cook. The bend test will be pretty difficult with them, so just do your best to judge them. If you cook the trimmings, they will take much less time and they make for nice little snacks for the chef as the ribs cook.

I like to save the rib tips as you call them (fine name by me :) ) an keep them for another day. For instance, right now I have rib tips on my offset while I experiment with a new technique on my stickburner. Post and pron to come later ;)

When cooking Spare ribs...does anyone skip foiling and just let them go a on UDS?

WEll guess what. No rib tips for me haha. All we could find yesterday was spareribs brisket off, or something like that.

So these are now essentially St louis ribs with out rib tips, just the trimmings?

Back