Jersey Folk ( and probably souther NY and eastern PA)

N

northernrescue3321

I live in north western NJ and need help finding some stuff for smoking gear. Currently I use lump charcoal (Dragons fire) but wanted to experiment with different brands and types and other. I went looking for some briquette style and all I could find is normal type kingsford and the match light. I've checked Lowes and Home Depot. Any other ideas for places to check or types to look for???

academy? walmart? ace hardware? are you trying to get into heavy duty smoking? or you looking for a backyard beginner pit? i'm not in your area but i can help point you in the right direction

I'm pretty close by in SE PA and it's everywhere. As Downhomeque mentioned Walmart & Ace are good places, also if you have Wegmans they carry their own brand which is good (& pretty cheap, about $5.99/10lb bag), ShopRite carries it too at about $11 for a 20lb bag, & there are usually local bbq supply shops tucked here & there that will also carry it. It exists in more places that you might think, just have to poke around because it's not the sort of thing you notice until you start using it...

academy? walmart? ace hardware? are you trying to get into heavy duty smoking? or you looking for a backyard beginner pit? i'm not in your area but i can help point you in the right direction

I have my WSM and am enjoying it very much. Was looking more for where to buy stuff that would be a little bigger and more ... well more.

Also was looking as where to buy charcoals and wood in the area. There is only one place I have been able to find and its selection is relatively limited

I'd be interested in some apple if you come across someone selling. As far as charcoal, you can try some fireplace companies. There's one or two near me (Monmouth county) that sell high end grills. They might carry some brands besides Kingsford. My local Foodtown carries Royal Oak.

I'd be interested in some apple if you come across someone selling. As far as charcoal, you can try some fireplace companies. There's one or two near me (Monmouth county) that sell high end grills. They might carry some brands besides Kingsford. My local Foodtown carries Royal Oak.

Kingsford is al I can seem to find for briquetts but only the Blue bag. I was hoping to find a natural briquette just to avoid the filler. Will the kingsford leave any weird residue or taste??

Kingsford is al I can seem to find for briquetts but only the Blue bag. I was hoping to find a natural briquette just to avoid the filler. Will the kingsford leave any weird residue or taste??

I was referring to lump charcoal in my comment above. If briquettes are what you're looking for, they're usually even more readily available. As for Kingsford, I think that depends on who you ask. I only buy Kingsford blue when it comes to that kind of charcoal, but that's probably more of a nostalgia thing than anything else, love the aroma & flavor & it brings me back to the 70's every time it gets lit up.

Edit: I would avoid the matchlight stuff & also avoid lighter fluid in general, that can leave an off taste. But if you light Kingsford blue with a chimney or weed burner it works very well

I was referring to lump charcoal in my comment above. If briquettes are what you're looking for, they're usually even more readily available. As for Kingsford, I think that depends on who you ask. I only buy Kingsford blue when it comes to that kind of charcoal, but that's probably more of a nostalgia thing than anything else, love the aroma & flavor & it brings me back to the 70's every time it gets lit up.

Edit: I would avoid the matchlight stuff & also avoid lighter fluid in general, that can leave an off taste. But if you light Kingsford blue with a chimney or weed burner it works very well

Im looking for anything and everything.

I have only used lump till this point so I would like to try briquettes just for the uniformity stand point.

As Ive said, Im still learning so Ill try anything

Bass pro shops has different woods and Bbq accessories. Always worth a look if you happen to be near one. I buy all my wood chunks there (apple, cherry, and peach).

Home Depot by me only carries Kingsford but Lowes Carries Kingsford, Cowboy lump and Royal Oak. I know the local A&P always has big bags of Royal Oak but its crazy priced. Ive always been told Walmart stocks up pretty good with Royal Oak as well.

Id also know where everyone is getting their wood from? Ive got tons of oak and maple that I need to split but it won't be ready til next year. I need to stock up again this year, but my normal place to get cheap wood is almost a 2hr drive south

I don't know what Kroger affiliate you have near you, but their store-brand charcoal is made by Royal Oak -- both lump and briquettes.

I use Kroger lump. It is cheap, and as good as most other lump I have tried.

CD

I guess royal Oak is a pretty standard choice and most people like it? Last year when I started doing this with charcoal some things I read said to stay away from royal oak. If this is not the case, maybe Ill pick up a bag.

I live in Connecticut and was able to buy two 18 lb bags of Kingsford Competition for $18.00 at CostCo. They were bundled together and on sale.

Ace carries Wicked Good Weekend Warrior. Wegman's brand is rebranded Royal Oak I believe. You cna also drive to BBQ Guru and get Humphries or Wicked Good lump. Humphries is based in PA so even shipping is not that bad if you order from them. Tractor Supply carries charcoal in season also. My Shop Rite had Mali's last time I was in there. Good stuff! I've found it fairly easy to find a variety of charcoals to try IN SEASON in NJ. It's when you want to do that turkey for Thanksgiving, the Brisket for Christmas, or the Pork Butt's for Superbowl when you might get stuck with Cowboy from Home Depot if you don't stock up.

Not close to Flanders but close to Sussex where we have a Tractor Supply,

Just checked. They have the Royal Oak briquettes in stock and on sale. Also call the Ace hardware in Milford, PA and see if they have or can get Wicked good weekend warrior charcoal.

Ace Hardware
475 Route 6 and 209
Milford, PA 18337

Just checked. They have the Royal Oak briquettes in stock and on sale. Also call the Ace hardware in Milford, PA and see if they have or can get Wicked good weekend warrior charcoal.

Ace Hardware
475 Route 6 and 209
Milford, PA 18337

Thanks man, going to be up that way on Sat, going to have to stop by

I only use lump for my egg, so if you are looking for lump, are you near a Restaurant Depot? If so, you can get the Red Royal Oak bags for under $10 for $17lbs. I used to get Wicked Good from Ace, but they stopped selling it and my local Ace guys are out of stock (cant find it on their website either). Also, if you order 10 bags (100 lbs) you can get free shipping on this high quality lump: http://www.grillstuff.com/ozark-oak-natural-lump-charcoal-10lb.html?productid=4441

For supplies, not a ton of places in the area, but you can check out Chef Central on Rt 17 in Paramus. There used to be a place near Whippany called Hometown Home and Hearth, but their website seems to show that store may have closed down. Modern Propane has some grilling stuff set up for seasonal displays as well. Most supplies I wind up ordering online.

For wood, I order online. The chunks or chips I find in the stores are garage. I use fruita wood chunks for chunks and Maine Grilling woods for cedar boards for fish and veggies.

Spices - spicesinc.com is in PA but like 5 mins from the NJ border, so shipping is really fast and cheap (and sometimes free if you order enough). Always high quality fresh spices.

Hope that helps

resturant store by me always has royal oak lump and bricks, in addition to a few other types.

pottstown and fleetwood, have a feed mill called fm browns i think they carry humphry lump.

Back