Rib Racks in Competition?

dmprantz

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I'm wondering if there's any one out there who uses rib racks to cook their competition ribs? Most of the people I have seen do not. Do you think that rib racks produce an inferiour product?

dmp

I use a standard Weber rib rack for 3 racks on a WSM 18". Funtime BBQ had a few top 10s with one 1st place in only 10 contests last year.

Benny

I've only done one comp, but took a top 10 out of 40 using a rib rack. I just don't have enough room using my OK Joe and UDS, so I have to use one.

Otherwise I don't normally use a rack unless I'm cooking several racks in my KJ.

Have never used one in competition. Have used them in home cooks at at events to cook for others, and I would definitely NOT conclude that they produce an inferior product.

Have never used one in competition. Have used them in home cooks at at events to cook for others, and I would definitely NOT conclude that they produce an inferior product.

Is there any particular reason why you don't use them in competition? No lack of space? Are you suggesting that the product is the same, but you wouldn't use one if you didn't have to from a dishes stand point?

Thanks!

dmp

The Polocks have won the Rib catagory at Rock and Ribfest in Merrimack a number of years back using rib racks, but it was in a Spicewine not a WSM.

I've done both. I use a WSM and I feel I did better without and scores were higher. Grant it I only did 5 comps this year. Maybe its after wrapping laying flat seems to be more consistent texture. Not a scientific experiment.

I don't use them because I have plenty of space but I wouldn't have a problem using them if I needed them.

We've never used them in comps because we don't need to (we have plenty of pit space). I have used them at home for NON comp cooks and the reason I don't like them is that when moving the ribs around sometimes the rub gets scraped off or screwed up when moving the meat in and out of the racks. I'd be afraid to screw up the appearance of the ribs.

Also, there's different brands/stules of rib racks so I'm sure that it depends on which ones you use as to how tight they are. Mine are cheaper racks.

We've always used the inverted, roast-style rib racks in competition. We also have pit space issues but it seems to work for us.

Like what was stated above my ribs sometimes have the rub scrapped off moving them around. Since I cook on a drum with 22" racks, I cook only 3 racks per comp.

I like to use them because it is easier to spritz the ribs until they are ready to foil. I have never had the issue of my rub comming off, I think because I let the rub eat into the rib before putting them on.

Is there any particular reason why you don't use them in competition? No lack of space? Are you suggesting that the product is the same, but you wouldn't use one if you didn't have to from a dishes stand point?

Thanks!

dmp

Because our comp cooker has plenty of space so have not really had a need to use them in competition. Cooking at home, I cook on a variety of cookers, including a kettle, where I need to stand them up and conserve some space.

Am indifferent on the dishes thing. I've used a stainless steel one that can be a little more difficult to scrub clean, but the main one I use is coated metal and usually after letting it soak, it cleans up fairly easily.

As said before, I am afraid of the issue removing the ribs from the racks and the side effects it has. Now I am sure with more practice and paying close attention, it wouldn't be an issue. Have thought about working on it a few times.

Back