Chuck Roll Question

Pipin' Pig

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Doing a Chuck Roll tomorrow for dinner and plan to put it on late tonight or early in the morning. Done a brisket, but never a chuck roll. I figure I will season like brisket and probably serve chopped rather than sliced.

Given I have never done one of these before, about how long do these normally take around 225-250 or so? I would like to have plenty of time to rest it in a cooler prior to dinner (around 7 in the evening).

I am guessing putting it on around 3-4 in the morning should give me enough time. Plan to cook till around 185-200 depending on the probe test. Don't plan to foil, but you never know ...

I've been cutting them down into 2 or 3 roasts about 7 pounds each. For pullable meat I have better luck barbecuing until 160° or so then finishing in foil or in a electric roaster with some added broth. I want the broth anyway to mix back into the meat, so this works good for me.

DSC04415a.jpg

DSC04418b.jpg

Cool. Mine are actually cut flat and then rolled so I will be able to un roll them and rub on both sides and roll back up.

I've been cutting them down into 2 or 3 roasts about 7 pounds each. For pullable meat I have better luck barbecuing until 160° or so then finishing in foil or in a electric roaster with some added broth. I want the broth anyway to mix back into the meat, so this works good for me.

DSC04415a.jpg

DSC04418b.jpg

Ditto!

I haven't ever cut one up, but I was thinking of cutting in half next time I do it to see how it turns out. It takes a long time, I'm thinking around 18 hours, to do a whole 20# chuck roll.

dmp

Back