• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BEER and BBQ

pAT_13

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
OK, I must admit I have more than one love in my life.

Now on to the beer, I brew my own and have for some time. What is a good beer or style to go with ribs, pulled pork, yard birds, etc. I already have a few favorite styles (Stout, Brown, Dunkelweizen, etc) but wanted to know what you think would go best with different types of BBQ?

NO BMC (bud, miller coors) or hard stuff, I already know where the sill is in the hills.

I was thinking of brewing and smoking at the same time so when we are done brewing we can eat and drink some more. It takes about 5 hrs to brew from start to finish so what would be a good cook? I could get the grill ready throw something on and start brewing. I think some ABTs, a meatloaf, and/or some ribs might be good, but the ribs would need a little attention.

I love brewing and smoking. Never ran them together, but I'd be down.

OK, I must admit I have more than one love in my life.

Now on to the beer, I brew my own and have for some time. What is a good beer or style to go with ribs, pulled pork, yard birds, etc.

I would recommend the types in cans, bottles, or kegs.

I love stouts and porters with BBQ:thumb:. Well, pretty much love them with anything, or by themselves.:-D

Me thinks it's a personal thing. Que'in and beer go together... and I love good home- micro brew.. but I never concidered trying to match a beer with the meat I'm eating. Never thought of it like matching wine to certain food.

I've had brewing parties that work out, but usually the kitchen is trashed and it is hard to concentrate on cooking while this is going on. I would expect that if I tried to cook and brew, my beer would be boiling over just when I had a flare up. I would expect that both would be ruined. With guests, it would be rough, unless you went hot and fast, or did something foolproof like a butt. Time wise, there's that 5 hours of brewing, but then there's that little detail of a couple months of aging, so unless you don't mind your guests hanging around for a VERY long time, you'd best have something in reserve.

IMG_4976.jpg

That's an old picture and I'm embarrassed how much there is now. I really find that my beer preference is dictated more by the weather than food. I tend to go a bit lighter in the summer (not lagers, but a Belgian ale or weizen). In colder weather I will hit the stouts. I do find that a heavy imperial stout goes very well with bacon

IMG_4072-1-1.jpg

Hey Gore, what doesn't go well with bacon??? That's one fine bacon mug.:clap2: Never had cheese flavored beer! When done, you eat the mug too. That's a great idea.:thumb:

I prefer porters, stouts, Belgian-style ales, and Irish red ales, although I'll drink most anything. Not an IPA or pale ale fan at all.

I prefer porters, stouts, Belgian-style ales, and Irish red ales, although I'll drink most anything. Not an IPA or pale ale fan at all.

You don't even like Sierra Nevada Pale ales? Dang, they're good with wings...or just about anything.

I am not sure about the brewing part, but I prefer a icy cold pale ale when I cook...lately its been Dogfishhead 60, Stone or Sierra pale ales. There's just something about the bite of the hops on my tongue mixed with the smoke flavors. I'm thirsty and hungry now
icon10.gif

that is the best stein i have ever seen!!!!:shock::shock::shock:

WOW
nice work!!!

Hey Gore, what doesn't go well with bacon??? That's one fine bacon mug.:clap2: Never had cheese flavored beer! When done, you eat the mug too. That's a great idea.:thumb:

Now that's funny!

This was a very good combination, maybe the only BBQ that when we finally finished (after several days for breakfast), my eldest daughter actually asked when I'd be making more.

Can't wait until it is cool enough to brew again. Anything cold though goes just fine with BBQ when it's this hot.

Anyone have plans for a still? I'm not much on beer but figure if it's OK to brew beer I should be able to make whisky? Whisky and Q go together, don't they?

I prefer a nice amber ale with my Q. My fav right now is Rogue American Amber.

Anyone have plans for a still? I'm not much on beer but figure if it's OK to brew beer I should be able to make whisky? Whisky and Q go together, don't they?

Unfortunately, distilling alcohol (for drinking) is still illegal in most (maybe all states). You may be able to procure a permit for distilling alcohol for fuel purposes.

a site with a couple of plans
http://gillesenergies.webs.com/stillsforsmallproducers.htm
http://www.milehidistilling.com/

I will stick to drinking beer while I cook....good on you for doing it!!

There is nothing better and satisfying than a say of bbqing and brewing.
I like to do ribs while I mash as it takes roughly the same time.

Personally I like big dark beers (stouts, porters, dark belgians, scottish strong ales etc) with beef, but I like something nice, clean and hoppy with ribs etc as it they are so rich. The hops and bitterness really cut through the rich fatty sweet pork. Heavily hopped pale ales and IPA's are perfect. Even a good pilsner.

Mmmm, love a good pils!

I am a homebrewer and always have something on tap. I love to bbq with a homebrew while listening to the blues. It's a marriage of sorts.

This is my first post and I am looking forward to learning as much as I can from all of the fine folks here. I smoked a Boston Butt over the weekend. It was a 9hr smoke and I pulled it wrapped at 195 and put it in a cooler wrapped in a towel for three hours. It was the best butt to date. Melt in your mouth.

Ron

Back