• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Well I finished making my UDS last week so yesterday I used it to smoke a 11lb brisket and a lot of jap poppers, everything went great I started the brisket at 5am dialed the uds in at 250 and it was done at 11am so 6 hours the internal temp was at 192 then I let it rest on the stove in foil for 2 hours. I also want to say that this way of cooking is amazing this is the first brisket I've every tried to cook and it came out great I loaded 10 pounds of KF five good size chunks of apple and this thing burned for 16 plus hours my bud's were shocked and so was I here go some picks thx for looking.
2010-09-01%2015.13.22.jpg

2010-09-04%2004.10.06.jpg

2010-09-04%2012.30.24.jpg

2010-09-04%2013.34.47.jpg

2010-09-04%2013.52.56.jpg

2010-09-04%2013.53.06.jpg

Hook Em!

Hey Austin, were you looking at the temp on the side of your drum being 250 degrees. Typically, that would put your grate temp closer to 275 - 285 degrees which would better explain a 11 lb brisket in 6 hours. That would make more sense.

Hey Austin, were you looking at the temp on the side of your drum being 250 degrees. Typically, that would put your grate temp closer to 275 - 285 degrees which would better explain a 11 lb brisket in 6 hours. That would make more sense.

I have a 12"turkey fryer thermo it sits right under the grate maybe a few cm away from the grate it said 250 for the 6 hours it was on so.. Thx ya'll

Austin, if you can pick up a cheap oven therm, about 5 bucks at most hardware type stores, Lowes, Ace, Home Depot, etc., and check the actual grate temp at various locations. My side therm is only about 2 inches long and my center grate temp is about 35 degrees higher and the outside edges are about 25 degrees higher that what the side therm reads. The long one you have may be more accurate though. The 6 hour cook just seemed a little quick but hey, it's done when it done. Glad you built the drum, as it's a cooking machine.

Austin, if you can pick up a cheap oven therm, about 5 bucks at most hardware type stores, Lowes, Ace, Home Depot, etc., and check the actual grate temp at various locations. My side therm is only about 2 inches long and my center grate temp is about 35 degrees higher and the outside edges are about 25 degrees higher that what the side therm reads. The long one you have may be more accurate though. The 6 hour cook just seemed a little quick but hey, it's done when it done. Glad you built the drum, as it's a cooking machine.

I also tested it with a probe I have to see if it was right and the prob said 252, ya its done when its done think next time I'm going to pull it at 180 internal and see how that works out this one was tender but I think I can make it a little more tender. This thing is a cooking machine think I'm going to do 2 pork butts next weekend.

Sounds like you are all over it bro. It is great when you have a cooker that is fun to cook on. Keep us posted as you do different stuff.

My "Turtle Drum"

So, here's the latest addition to the Q-cooker family: My "shielded" UDS or as my 12 year-old daughter calls it, my "Turtle Drum"

The assorted parts broken down for viewing purposes - a standard new, unlined 55 gal steel drum, a Weber lid found on the side of the highway, an 85 gal salvage drum with cutouts for the intakes, and a firebasket made out of a Weber charcoal grate and extra wire shelving I had laying around the house:
Turtledrumbreakdown.jpg

I cut 3 1" holes in the bottom of the 55 gal drum, threaded in 3 3" black iron pipe nipples to act as "legs" to bring the top of the barrel up to the height I needed it:
Airintakes.jpg

Then, I put 3 90degree PVC elbows on the bottom of the "legs" and ran 3/4" pvc out to the front of the drum. Then I clamped the the intake pipes down to the lid of the 85 gal drum:
NatalBigRed.jpg

Mounted castes on the underside of the lid:
Casters.jpg

Burned the paint off the wire shelving and used "L" brackets on the fire basket to make it adustable so that I can use it for a hot & fast direct grill also:
firebasket-1.jpg

Seasoned the inside of the cooking drum, cut a hole in the bottom - now the the "top" - of the 85 gal drum to fit over the cooking drum like a turtle shell, clamped the shell to the base with the lid ring-clamp, painted and mounted the 12" stem turkey frier thermometer just under the bottom of the two cooking grates:
Newestmember.jpg

TurtleDrumOpen.jpg

Finally, I introduced it to the rest of the family... Awww... Look... It fits right in!!:becky:
KelleyQFamily.jpg

Here's my All-Weather Stainless Steel Smokestack mod (pat pending). I nearly got my fire put out by a frog-strangler, so I decided a little rain cap was needed. Yesterday I tested it out, and yes, it rained again. works like a champ!

IMG_0252.jpg

Anyone catch the BBQ Pitmasters this week. The one guy \ group was using a UDS. Never really showed a close up shot of it but it did show him taking food out of it.

Sugar-T

Yeah, that was BigMista. He had an XL UDS flat-top with a 2" diameter stack that looked about 12" - 18" long.

Did I get that right Big?

Burned out two more drums this weekend to build this week. I figured 40 mph winds would burn them hot and fast, I was right!!! Pics to be added soon.

Here's my All-Weather Stainless Steel Smokestack mod (pat pending). I nearly got my fire put out by a frog-strangler, so I decided a little rain cap was needed. Yesterday I tested it out, and yes, it rained again. works like a champ!

IMG_0252.jpg

I could of used that sucker yesterday with all the rain and winds I had to deal with. Nice Stack!

Little Drum.

I found a couple of ss drums on cl, 1 55 gallon and 1 small one, I'd guess around 20ish gallons. The dimensions are 22" tall with 15" diameter. Both with lids. Any suggestions for a build using the smaller one?

Back