Wine Barrel Smoker

fire brick and pizza pan, and keep video recording if it catches on fire ----amer fun video

Got a question about screwin' on a WDS - most WDSs have one or more screws thru the ring into each stave. but folks say that the baarrels shrink and you should fill them with water - some say you should beat the rings toward the center of the barrel to tighten everything up - but if the ring is screwed then you can't move it.

Can you tell I am confused? I think I will cut the top off below the second ring, AFTER I put lots of screws thru the second ring and no screws thru the rings under the cut. Will that work???

Looks pretty cool. I'm going to start calling local wineries to see about getting there old barrels. I don't think I could bring myself to pay $800 for theirs.

Sorry guys I didnt realize there had been new posts to this thread, I missed them altogether.

As far as screwing the staves or not, that is up to you. I did that at first with mine (because I saw it done) but soon realized that I needed to knock down the bands to keep a tight seal. Since my barrel was so big I could not use water to keep it tight. If I could go back and do it again I would

1. Use a regular sized barrel, not drill the bands to the staves and use water after every few cooks to keep it tight. I might even use a water bowl inside like a WSM to keep it as moist as possible when cooking.

2. If that did not work and it still got gaps between the staves I'd buy a hot plate and make it an electric cold smoker. I have an extra barrel here at the house, I'm flirting with the idea!

Stave's

Thanks JT,

I think I'll design mine without screws first and be able to fill it with water in between smokes

Jimmy:thumb:

Well I put screws (black) into the silverish metal bands - it was a real pita but it looks fine.

I filled it with water, opened the valve and drained the barrel but there was still water in it. I put the charcoal basket in - the water came into the pizza pan but not the charcoal basket.

I cooked a brisket as a test. OMG good briskey. Anyway after the cook there was still water in the bottom!

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y44/stl-rich/Whiskey%20Barrel%20Smoker/

Last edited:
Back