What would you have done? (Long sorry)

Just Pulin' Pork

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
After turn ins at a contest this past weekend I was over BS'ing with a member on another team and a master judge walked up. The master judge asked how did our cooking go, and we both said we were happy with what we turned in. Then the master judge asked the team I was talking too, what number they were assigned and then the master judge saw the spot# on the ground. I looked at the person I was talking to with a WTF look on my face and then the master judge asked me what spot my team was in and I told him (only because I did not know where this was going). The master judge thought for a minute and said, "no, no I don't think we got either of your boxes at our table." I looked again at the person I was talking too and asked how would they know what boxes they got and the master judge said they tag another # onto your space # and he said "today they used 801" and then told us he was a "table captain and I did not judge so don't worry." The Master Judge then said "I wished we would have gotten the boxes from the team in spot # blank" (I am not giving it so don't ask). At this point the master judge said he had to move along and then I see him walk over and talk to the team that he "wished he would have gotten their boxes."

By now, both me and the person I was talking to were like "did that really happen?" At that point I said I was reporting it to the reps from KCBS. The kicker of all of this is after awards, I started talking with the reps to report what happened, I see the same master judge helping carry one of the trophies out to the car for the team, "that he wished they would have gotten there boxes."

The reps said they are filing a report with the KCBS and they thanked me for reporting it. Just curious on how others would have handled this.

Hold.the.phone.
A Master Judge was at a contest, gave particulars about the renumbering system, openly expressed he wished he'd gotten a certain team's box, yet claimed he wasn't judging?
Damn, how many different things are wrong with this picture?

Yes, I'd have followed up with the rep, and possibly with a board member to boot.

I guess the blind numbering system isn't so bad after all....

Yea I would of done the same thing after I cooled down from Kick Arse Mod

Just like you did, Jon... only I'd also contact the KCBS office yourself TODAY and give all the specific details and then email the board. There is probably still an address where it goes to all of them.

I thought it was legal after judging to find out what team you judged? In sayville 2 years ago i had a few people come up to me that had one of my entries.

I thought it was legal after judging to find out what team you judged? In sayville 2 years ago i had a few people come up to me that had one of my entries.

did they like A-1?

I hope that guy isn't judging next week. Good job reporting it, Jon.

For real …
A judge wanted to stop and inform you, or someone, that he did not score meat from the team whose trophy he was carrying?

You did right in reporting that table captain(master judge). When Reps use an easy number like 801 it's possible for a smart table captain to figure out the number by looking at 24 boxes especially in a contest with only say 50 teams. Might not get max and min but should be able to guess. It makes more sense to start with a number that is at least as large as the number of teams but less than 3 times the number of teams. This would work for most contests and make it much more difficult to figure out the "random" number the rep chooses. Like I said 801 is not a smart choice by the Rep. You might want to email the Rep Committee Chairperson about this "problem"

Wow, what a dick. Sometimes I tire of trying to ensure you all we as judges are giving our best and somebody like this shows up.
Please if all facts are accurite revoke this guys certification.
Don't want em, don't need em.
Ed

No its not legal to disclose a teams entry even after judging

Could you point out where on the KCBS site about judging, or what your data is that backs up this statement? Are not refering to the KCBS Reps? Or are you refering to Table captins and CBJ's?

Wow, what a dick. Sometimes I tire of trying to ensure you all we as judges are giving our best and somebody like this shows up.
Please if all facts are accurite revoke this guys certification.
Don't want em, don't need em.
Ed

A-farkin'-men :mad:.

Jon, that chit ain't right! You did exactly the right thing and, yes, I also would contact the BoD and the KCBS office. We are supposed to have the "double blind" system to ensure that arseholes like this one can't do what he just did :mad2:.
Jerks like him are NOT what we need or want in Compitition BBQ.

KCBS's system here is very 1975 and rudimentary. A much better system would be
one where 4 random numbers are generated for each team, so that a team would get 4 boxes labeled like:

Only in the system that generated the numbers would be assigned to a team. When
the box numbers are entered into the scoring system it would know which team
received those boxes; no other.

While I agree that what happened is wrong, the renumbering system at the competitions we cook at isn't very sophisticated. In 90% of the comps they simply add 100 or 200 in from of our box number. So, if I had box number 19, the box would be renumbered with 219, for example. It's not hard to figure out. The info is right on the score sheets.

Now, in pretty much all of the comps we cook at, the box number has nothing to do with our space number, so unless a judge had some way of knowing our box number, they wouldn't easily be able to tie it back to us unless easily.

I'm stunned. You seemed to handle it very professionally.
In case the judge shows up at the next contest I would speak to Reps ahead of time and if you send an email to the KCBS BOD I would bring a copy along

Back