Newbe competition cooker's

timmy7649

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
NEED HELP ON WHAT ALL TO BRING TO THE COMP. (BESIDES SMOKER ECT.) MAYBE IF YOU ALL CAN GIVE SUGGESTIONS ON ALL ASPECTS OF COMP. COOKING TO HELP PEOPLE LIKE ME TO GET STARTED. ANY AND ALL WILL HELP:confused:

This would be a good place to start http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13677

Best advice I've seen was to do at least one "dry run" for practice in your backyard. Set up everything you think you'll need, and then try not to have to go back in the house for anything (other than maybe a bio break)

There are some very helpful checklists in the link above.

Main thing is, don't forget to have fun!:-D

If you have NO exposure, you might want to save some yourself some grief and see if there's a judging class near you. Take that, then judge a few comps. You can look around and take notes on what you see the teams doing, what gear they have, etc. (NOT to include shigging!):roll:
It will be a LOT easier when you have an idea what you're getting yourself into!

Well, a good place to start gathering information is in the Competition Forum. :rolleyes:

There are serveral lists of "stuff" needed to get started. You can go as complex or as simple as you wish.

Good luck.

We are competing for the first time this summer, We have done three full dry runs, making notes and lists of what we will need. We even practiced turn in times and who would be on firebox patrol through the night.

Good Luck this summer

Since I just did my first, the biggest thing is don't forget its a camp-out. Bring food and blankets and snacks and drinks. We totally forgot something to eat.

Be sure to ask for a mentor you can be next to. Ours was the best.

Oh, and take cap-lock off. :)

NEED HELP ON WHAT ALL TO BRING TO THE COMP. (BESIDES SMOKER ECT.) MAYBE IF YOU ALL CAN GIVE SUGGESTIONS ON ALL ASPECTS OF COMP. COOKING TO HELP PEOPLE LIKE ME TO GET STARTED. ANY AND ALL WILL HELP:confused:

I'm going to move this to the competition forum. You'll probably get more answers there.

Please fasten your seat belts... Hold on... Here we go... :rolleyes:

Whew! We made it. :-D

awesome guys. thanks for all the help. keep posting i can always use the info. looks like im off to practice my ribs. keep up the good work!!!!!!

Back