Questions for the royal

Jeff,
Could make for more shut-eye overnight.
Someone has said "sleep is highly overated". :lol: :lol:
You are gonna be so pumped you could not sleep even with KC's FEC 100 doing the cooking! :lol: :lol:
(Just a moment of levity) :lol:

I have set an alarm clock for every "nap" I have taken. Never, ever has it gone off--entirely to psyched to oversleep--for sure :oops:

You have lots and lots of time to practice.
You need to run some practice cooks with the arsenal you have and all four meats at the same schedule as a comp.

See how the Good One cooks and plan/adjust from there.

Keep us posted!

TIM

Good One can handle brisket and butt just fine, like Tim says do some practice cooks.

Jeff_in_KC said:
didn't anyone else get worked up over their first contest? :wink:

Hell YEAH. I didn't sleep at all the night before, during or when I got home. I was freaking flying.

But then again I was working with Pooh and Chad. I had a hell of a cushion.

Jeff: Good to see you yesterday!!! You have the right attitude to compete and you have the right tools( wink, wink, nudge, nudge) all I can say is

Go out there and win one for the Groper--- I mean Gipper

Had you confused with me for a minute there.

Any time you can walk the stage----It's a good day!!

Spice

I just want to make the Brothers proud, ya know?
You already do just by jumping in and going for it. Now, let's see if we can get you to place above the curve and learn a bunch at the same time.

Good News!!! I just got an email from the person I've been talking to at the Royal, trying to confirm my entry is in. Well, she did and Big Creek BBQ is officially in! She said she just can't confirm my space assignment until August 20. BF(arkin')D! I don't need to know that right now. I just needed to be able to farking sleep at night! Onward and upward!

Trout_man22 said:
Jeff,

Congrats, Now sit down drink a beer and take a breath.

I would if I wasn't still at work for another three farkin hours! So to celebrate, I went out and bought me a shiney new WSM! My wife may NOT kill me... she's down with a bad back and is on muscle relaxers and pain killers so maybe when I tell her what I just spent (after buying a $150 10x20 canopy yeserday), that pain will be killed also! :lol:

BrooklynQ said:
So when's the first practice run thru?

Farkin' tomorrow or Sunday, no doubt! Tonight, I'm firing up the BSKD and smoking my buckboard bacon and five maple fatties! Won't have the WSM put together in time to use it tonight.

First thing is... breath. do the La maz thing. then start shopping of r your camp.

then go to Walmart and buy 4 tuff boxes in the autosection. One large. 40 bucks about 3x4 and the 3 smaller ones, aboout 2x4 @ 19 bucks. Also, a cheapo shlf unit. 9 bucks for a 18x24 5 shelf plastic unit. it organizes your tables. (see picture) The larger one is perfect for all the tent canopies and walls u just bought, bungies, and additional hardware items(like the table legs your about to hear about).

u need at least 3 6 foot tables. Washing, prep, turnin. i have 2 8s and a 6. Up to u if u want a seating area.

to save your back, if your table has 4 individual legs, cut 4 18inch( or measure to your own comfort) sections of 1 1/2 inch PVC and put one on each foot of the table. It raises the prep table up so you are not hunched over. Then just pop em off for storage.

Lighting, 50 and 100 foot extension cords, 6 plug powercenter and some 12 foot home cords, garden hose for water and a Y connector.

The big tuff box will hold all tools, tent stuff, lights, BBQ Tools.

the smaller boxes, one for spices and kitchen supplies he second for cleaners, liquid and paper goods. A third is agood idea for Misc.

Also, home depot has a cabinet made by tuffbox. 69 dollars. 36 wide x 48 high. If your planning on continuing after the AR, this is very handy. I keep "stuff" in it. Additional propane canisters, lanterns, BBQ tools, gloves, tiewraps, setup tools. If it aint in the kitchen, it goes in there.

Start setting aside or buying kitchen supplies. Paper goods, towels, plates, plastic cuttlery. Liquids stuff like apple juice, worsey sauce, tobascos, fuel(kingsford and lump). You will need a camping stove or turkey frying burner of some type to heat sauces or breakfast unless u are goinf to use the firebox. Get all this stuff aside now. you got 5 weeks to go before the crunch. Grocery bill will hit hard, you dont need the paper and non perishable liquids to hit then too.

my biggest problem for the first few times is organization. Up to the last comp, all the stuff was in small bocxes all over the kitchen. Right before asbury park, I consolidated everything into about 4 permanent boxes and 2 others for stuff that needs to be refreshed every time. The shelf in the kitchen area worked wonders for organizing. The boxes made packing and prep for the next event real easy. I know i am better off because a weeek after the event, the trailer is still packed and ready to go. All I unpacked were the coolers and the 2 boxes of perishables. Next time, just refill the coolers, replenish the apple juice and take off.

We start talkin about timing techniques as ya get closer. Right now, get organized..

And get this shelf unit in the picture. It goes together in a minute and comes right apart. Also, notice the height of the prep table Xczar is at. Thats from the PVC legs. You can see them in the bottom right of the photo.

Gee thanks, Phil! I was kinda hoping I could stay away from the spending for a week or so! :lol: And my wife will demand it! She hasn't said anything about the WSM yet but I KNOW she saw the box in the back of my car... the silence is farkin' deadly!

50 and 100 foot extension cords,

Make sure you get 12 gauge extension cords - sometimes you will have power issues with the smaller cords...and I think the royal is requiring 12 gauge cords this year.

Walk around a few contests and take notes of what others are using in their sites.

MoKanMeathead said:
50 and 100 foot extension cords,

Make sure you get 12 gauge extension cords - sometimes you will have power issues with the smaller cords...and I think the royal is requiring 12 gauge cords this year.

Walk around a few contests and take notes of what others are using in their sites.

Yep, they sure are requiring 12 gauge. I signed up for electric but I guess that I won't know if I got it until August 20? I know I won't know location assignment until then. Would be nice if Brethren would end up close to each other.

As for checking out other contests, I've seen a few and I plan on seeing at least one more before the Royal, probably Blue Springs and Kearney. I've been spending a lot of time recently figuring out how I want to set up my camp. Some things I don't lack in are organization, diagramming and planning!

Space assignments for the Royal are out...

Big Creek BBQ - 537
MoKan Meatheads - 782
Pellet Envy - 932

Any other Brethren I'm missing? Let's go get 'em, guys!

Looking forward to meeting you, Jim!

In looking at the map of sites, I think I'm seeing what the "dark side" actually is... as a first-time competitor in this contest, I'm way the hell out to the southwest end of the event and it seems all the teams who've been around for awhile are to the northeast. My guess is there are going to be a crap-load of idiots, non-serious Q people and partiers around where my team is located. And I don't know if it's bad or good but to one side of my space is an ash pit. Convenient but potentially a crowd and a mess right next door! At least I'll only have a team on one immediate side of me. Definitely a tarp on the ash pit end of my canopy to block it off!

Question... for anyone who has seen the map: where will the turn in site be on this thing? I don't see anything labeled and I was trying to get an idea of distance from my camp.

Oops... sorry Jim... Bonesmokers is Dr. BBQ. Forgot until I opened a bottle of Honey BBQ Sauce and looked at the label! :oops:

Back