Anyone take the Old vs. New Trigg / Gray BBQ Class?

Woody

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Looking for general feedback from anyone who has taken this BBQ class. How many folks were in the class? Do you cook or just watch? How do you retain the information, i.e. - take notes yourself, or is there some type of detailed handout. Was there finished BBQ to evaluate? Would it be beneficial for a KCBS comp cook looking for a GC? Any other remarks about the class? Are there other comp BBQ cooking classes that you would highly recommend?

Thanks, and Happy New Year to the BBQ Brethren.

Last edited:
Curious about this myself. After talking to Rod it is stricktly a "we cook-you watch" atmoshere. But I'm sure there is much to be learned.

Depending on your level of experience, for us we had cooked, a couple of seasons, this is the class to take. Yes it's hands on but its a complete soup to nuts class. You take notes. They do give you a few handouts detailing all the ingredients they use and also give you a nice goody bag containing samples of most of the sauces and rubs. You'll walk through a complete competititon time table and they will show you everything you do. Its your option whether you want to be there when some of the meats go on the smoker (i.e 4 am) but you'll get as much out of the class as what you put into it. Plus you can ask a ton of questions to two of the best competitors on the circuit and they will gladly answer everything you ask. It's really two classes in one, two different techniques, and competitors that wind up in the winners circle, a lot. And you get to eat everything that is cooked and evaluate the results yourself. I can't remember the exact number in the class. It was very large, I'm thinking over 40 (a lot of that is because you can bring a spouse for an additional $100) and probably closer to 60 with the spouses. There are no bad seats in the classroom. Rod purchase a large mirror that is over the prep area so that everone can see everything he is doing. He'll allow some people to volunteer if they'd like to practice thinkgs like learning to trim chicken (so you can get a little hands on experience there)

We took the class last year in April in Shannon. Prior to that we would get a call or two but we're very inconsistent. Our first comp after the class we got our first ever 1st place (in pork) and we steadily improved and finished the season with 3 Reserves and a 10 ten finish in 7 of the 9 contests we entered. We really improved in our consistency because of this class and finished 62nd in TOY. I'd say those are pretty impressive results.

Good luck to both you guys. In some ways I wish people would not take this class. It just makes the competition out there even tougher!

Not taken the class, but I cooked with Rod once years ago and learned a ton. And I've known Johnny for years, and he's a great guy with loads of cooking knowledge (and funnier than hell). Both of these guys are top notch in my book, and the fact that you can get both of their views in one class is hard to beat.

Cheers
Chris

This one is definately on my list of classes to take.

Curious about this myself. After talking to Rod it is stricktly a "we cook-you watch" atmoshere. But I'm sure there is much to be learned.

When Johnny and I discussed hosting these classes, we agreed that while it would be a lot of work, it would be a waste of time if folks didn't take away the knowledge to win a contest. Prior to us teaching, I attended cooking classes where the students all cooked on their equipment. What I saw were people doing their own thing, not applying the information they were just taught. They had paid good money to attend, yet were not even practicing the ideas and techniques they were just demonstrated. I envisioned these folks explaining to their friends and family what a waste of time and money "that class" was after they finished about the same at their next contest. We didn't want that. We want folks to take the recipes and ideas from our class and win contests, hopefully not the ones were at, but we'll take that too. There was a post on here about how the instructors of these type classes are in it for the money and only teach about a third of what they know. I can tell you that we teach our exact programs for contest cooking from start to finish, leaving no stone unturned. I can also tell you that having a former student contact us to tell us all about their first ever Grand Champion or category win, is the most rewarding part of what we do. Finally, I can tell you that we've had a ton of those calls and e-mails.

Rod
http://www.pelletenvy.com

We will be taking this class Feb. 6th.

Me too Caveman. I'm looking forward to it. I've stopped cooking entirely now to clear my head of all the things I do wrong now and open up more room to learn how to do it right going forward.

Me too Caveman. I'm looking forward to it. I've stopped cooking entirely now to clear my head of all the things I do wrong now and open up more room to learn how to do it right going forward.

Great! look forward to meeting you! We (my wife and I) are pretty excited about the class also.

If you are competing anywhere within about 6 hours of Chicago, I don't recommend this class. :-D

BUT... If you are anywhere else, it is a great class. Both Rod and Johnny do a good job of telling what they do and why they are doing it. Their wives also do a good talking about boxes and presentation.

Great Bend, KS...here I come. I am seriously looking forward to attending this class. I am somewhat less enthralled with the prospect of spending 8+ hours in a vehicle with Mr Freeman, but that is another story.
ML

Hey Matt, why didn't you guys go to Shannon? It's a lot closer for you both?

I talked to a guy that has won many GC's and he is gonna take the class. That tells ya something.

I don't think the Shannon class had been announced when I signed up for Great Bend. Besides, spending a few days in KC, and maybe hitting Smoky D's and Hawgeyes on the way down is a great way to break up the monotony of a Wisconsin winter.

ML

Great Bend, KS...here I come. I am seriously looking forward to attending this class. I am somewhat less enthralled with the prospect of spending 8+ hours in a vehicle with Mr Freeman, but that is another story.
ML
I think your underating Mr Freemans ability to keep things ineresting.It could be worse and I could be going:eek:Or even worse yet the dishwasher from hell could be going.....:twisted:

When is the Shannon class? I've seen it mentioned a couple of times but can't seem to locate it on the website?
Thanks

Man. To be able to watch these 2 guys do their thing and teach all you need to know to become a GC is one amazing thing. I don't know Johnny T. but have talked with Rod G. numerous times and he is always open to tell you anything you want to know about competing. What more could you ask for?

Back