Peanut Oil Costs

Plowboy

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Looked at peanut oil at Costco tonight. $45!!! :eek: Holy crap!

haven't had to buy for a while, how much has it gone up?

It's helping me listen to my Doc - no deep fried food -

Cooking oil as a whole has gone up damn near double. I rarely fry anymore.

they will be giving the stuff away after Thanksgiving. It's pricy right now. It is also a lot cheaper during the summer. I've found it may be a little cheaper to but the gallon size containers instead of the one big one.

Looked at peanut oil at Costco tonight. $45!!! :eek: Holy crap!

yeah it sucks for sure. I fry all my fish in peanut oil. Lately have been pan frying in lieu of the deep fryer. Also filtering oil and re-using a bit more then I used too.

This is why the oil filter with pump is so helpful when I fry turkeys for folks this time of year. Cabelas has a really nice one for about$70.

After 3 turkeys, the pump/filter setup paid for itself.

Peanut oil , as far I can remember, has always been one of the most expensive ones out there. I know people want it because it can withstand high temperatures like in Chinese wok cooking.

Creamy shortening (w/ the big oil boxes at sam's) - is a great substitute. Does not scortch like some of the other frying oils. Holds for 5 turkeys, just like a batch of peanut oil

Just got a oil-less infrared bird fryer for my birthday 2 weeks ago. Haven't even pulled it out of the box yet. Hopefully is close to deep fried turkey because of oil cost. Wife and I discussed it and decided it would pay for itself after three tanks of oil almost.

I scored at Home Depot about two months ago. They had a huge sale and the peanut oil was 3 gallons for $8.98. so I bought two of them. I noticed that they are now back up to the $25.00 range.

Creamy shortening (w/ the big oil boxes at sam's) - is a great substitute. Does not scortch like some of the other frying oils. Holds for 5 turkeys, just like a batch of peanut oil

Dittos! That is what we've been using for years for frying turkeys. If ya don't rub the outside of the bird you can get a lot of birds done before it breaks down too bad...

I was just looking at it for $42....I always get it for a deep fried turkey for Thanksgiving..then strain and use again at Xmas for Turkeys for the neighbors. Then a final huge fry-a-thon with the neighbors...fish, oysters, onion rings, etc. I should buy the replacement after Thanksgiving and hold for the next year since as mentioned before the price usually goes way down.

Last year at this time I was paying 28 bucks for a 35# now the price is over 50. i've since switched to veg oil at the restaurant but still use pnut for turkey frying at home and for catering. It seems that all of the oils have gone up as they are traded as commodities.

Saw it at Kroger's tonight, this thread reminded me to look at the price. Think it was 3 gallon containers $39.99.

#1 How long do you keep oil.
#2 I changed over to cotton seed oil for better price.
#3 Do they think we make gas out of it?

Back