But the fire basket is WAY too high, it should be 3”+/- off of the bottom of the drum.
Or you need 24” from the bottom (lowest part that the coals touch) of the fire basket to the first rack.

Yeah, It's about 3 or 4 inches higher than recommended for the lower grill ( I need to measure). Plenty far away from the top grill, which I will be using the majority of the time. That said, I mention on the Blog that I may be building a "more traditional" basket if this one is a problem. One goal of the build was to try and use as many of the donor grill parts as I could. Good catch, tho.

You may have seen my UDS Build Blog from the other post that I did a few days ago, but since this thread seems to be the "go to" thread for ideas about building UDS cookers, I thought it might be good to post a link to my UDS Build Blog here.

http://www.uglydrumsmoker.blogspot.com/

Lots of what I did came from ideas in this giant thread, so my personal thanks to one and all who posted here.

-=- Jerry -=-

Nice build Jerry. I like the spring idea for the air intakes. I may incorporate that idea in to my next build.

My UDS can probably use, (and will get) some adjustments, but bottom line, I've had it to 525-550F and when I close everything up, the fire goes out, so I know for sure that I can find a way to get any temp I want to cook with. Texas Brisket on Post Oak this week-end!

Thanks for the clear directions and terrific pictures, Jerry. This is an excellent contribution to this discussion.

My UDS can probably use, (and will get) some adjustments, but bottom line, I've had it to 525-550F and when I close everything up, the fire goes out, so I know for sure that I can find a way to get any temp I want to cook with. Texas Brisket on Post Oak this week-end!

You gonna do an all-wood smoke on your UDS? That's all I've ever used.

I usually use charcoal lump with 2 or 3 rather small oak sticks. This will be my second smoke on the UDS, so still learning how to cook on it.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone, hoping the blog is useful. There's other ways to build them that are just as good of course.

I suppose that this qualifies as starting the fire from bottom up.
I like using the electric loop starter since I have an outlet nearby.
Just pull it out by the cord when the fire gets going.

103432640.jpg

anyone having temp issues? It seems lately the temps drop off after 6 hours. I'm running my exhaust at half open, and both of the crank intakes fully open. I check on it and there's a whole slew of charcoal but not fire.

Intakes are clean but I can't keep any kind of solid temp in it.

I was just curious if any one does it that way.
In my 2 years of cooking on my UDS's I have never started the fire from the bottom of the basket, I just dump a chimney of coals on top of the full basket.

I was just curious if any one does it that way.
In my 2 years of cooking on my UDS's I have never started the fire from the bottom of the basket, I just dump a chimney of coals on top of the full basket.

me too, I do the "mini" minion way with a coffee can.

You may be having a problem with ash build up.
Give it a good rap when temps start to go down.

First post! I've got three drums with the tan liner in them. I burned two of them for 5 hours filled 1/3 of the way elm. They burned HOT for a solid 5 hours. Paint on the outside turned to pink powder, inside I have patches of bare metal with patches of what looks like remaining carbonized tan liner.

So my question is, should I take it ALL off on the inside, right down to bare metal? I can't seem to get the black patches off, wire wheel isn't doing much.

Back