Buckboard Bacon Question

ricksegers

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
My significantly better half called me Tuesday morning and said the boss had announced their annual "Mater Sammich" day (it's a Georgia thing) for Aug 1 and she wanted some BBB to go on the sandwiches. Well, I did not have enough made and obviously didn't have two weeks. I bought a Boston Butt an cut about a 1 1/2 inch slab off the bottom cutting it horizontal and got t in the cure in the fridge. Will this piece that's about a third as thick as the original butt be ready to smoke and eat in eight days?

August 1st isn't 8 days away!

But if a whole butt cures in 10 days I would think you could get away with that small a piece in 8 days.

"August 1st isn't 8 days away!"

Sorry..Meant August 7.

Okay here is the deal...

Curing time is based on meat thickness: I use 9 or 10 days curing time on a 3 to 3-1/2 inch thick butt. About 8 days on a 2 to 2-1/2 inch thick butt. About 6 days on an average loin. Now, I'm sort of confused by your description are you saying that you have a hunk of butt that is full thickness and only 1-1/2" wide? And would that actually be something like 3" X 1-1/2"? What was the weight of the piece?

Don't forget about the rinse and soak out time, this could be 3 or 4 hours for your piece, and also you will need some rest time in the fridge, a few hours for this too. Your smoking time will be another 2 or 3 hours.

Back