View Single Post
Old 07-03-2008, 02:58 AM   #50
MayDay
Full Fledged Farker

Unhappy 3 Holes Drilled, Firebox & Dome Mortared, Base to be continued...

Today was supposed to be an easy day. Not so! Whenever I look at Humpty in the light of day (the SUN), I see things that I don't want to see.

Humpty has a new sidewall crack. It propagated from an old crack that was JB'd at the bottom of the clay pot. Sigghhh....

Here's the crack with the copper paint scrubbed away.

The bottom of the pot showed 2 new cracks. To try to stop further crack growth, holes were drilled at the end of each incomplete crack (see previous post explaining Griffith's Theory). Holes are located at 3:00 and 7:30.

Another hole was drilled on the side wall where a crack terminated.

In hindsight, I wish I heard of this old trick earlier (drill a hole at the end of a crack to stop further crack growth). If so, I would have drilled holes at the end of ALL unterminated cracks. Now I can't find them because all the cracks have been covered up with JB and furnace cement.

After drilling the holes in the clay pot, Stove and Gasket Cement (3000F rating) was applied over the new cracks and in the 3 drill holes.

The firebox got mortared with High-Temperature Stove & Furnace Cement, which is rated to 2100F.

The dome also got mortared with High Temperature Stove & Furnace Cement. The dome cracks are now covered with 2 layers of JB and 3 coatings of High Temperature Stove & Furnace Cement (2100F rating). I think that should hold it!

I sure hope there are no more surprises. This restore is taking WAY too much time and energy. I really want to wrap this up and start cooking!!!

Last edited by MayDay; 07-03-2008 at 01:39 PM..
MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote