UDS wind and temp problems

wlh3

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Been blowing like stink here and a cold wind. tough time geting my temps
up. have a couple yard birds on 4.5 Hrs. finally got side temp up to 240* but Intake about 80% open. breast temp stuck @ 168* for last 40 mins waiting to climb the last 02*. There is no let up in the wind for a while. cooked wings earlier and they took 3.75 Hrs. Tough day for a cook, but the wings were great:icon_bigsmil Probly post pics tomorrow

A tough day cookin is better than the best day at work!!

Hey ya got that right just checked it and did the old thump D thump side temp is hitting 250*. Chicken temp is 169* Were allmost there:icon_bigsmil

My UDS fire basket really holds the ash, the holes are 3/4 expanded metal, you would think the ash would fall right thru. A good shake or thump does the trick.

Observations on a very windy cook.
Burned more fuel trying to get temps up.

Ash build up was close to being a factor (my grate is only 2" from bottom)

Air intake was open 50% more to maintain lower temps

cures Very good wind block is critical or ability to move drum to other area(Wheels )

Here are Pics of the Wings and 2 yard birds.

I thought the yard birds would be very dry because of length of time in Drum. I was surprised:eek: Skinned , pulled and vacu sucked to day after work and no crustys on the meat or drynness.

One bird pulled wt was 1 lb 7 oz the other 1 lb 5 oz. Both birds were a little over 4 lbs to start with.

Attachments

• 100_0545.JPG
    100_0545.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 115
  • 100_0547.JPG
    100_0547.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 114
The only way I like chicken is when it is done on a barrel.

Chicken Enchaladas, Chicken Tacos, Chicken Nachos, Chicken Chile. Always good with leftovers. never cook just one.

Those look good. The only chicken I like is when it's boiled in soup. That being said I always smoke first then make soup.

We've had some crazy windy weather here but the temps held really well. Have you thought of buying a replacement weber replacement fire grill and then wrapping the expanded metal? I go through almost bag and a half before dumping the ash.

Also no problem holding the temp on it.

Did two spatchcock chicks on my drum for my IL's this past Saturday. The night before, after cutting them I up, I put them in ziplocks an emptied a few bottles of old Italian dressing that had been setting my fridge god knows how long. Came out great.

About 4 pounds each, at 275-300 they were done in about 3 and 1/2 hours.

Observations on a very windy cook.

cures Very good wind block is critical or ability to move drum to other area(Wheels )

See, see!! I knew I wasn't mad to build a UDS on wheels:biggrin:

Chicken Enchaladas, Chicken Tacos, Chicken Nachos, Chicken Chile. Always good with leftovers. never cook just one.

Funny you said that Norco. Wed nite is crispy pulled chicken tacos w/fresh Pico de gallo

Those look good. The only chicken I like is when it's boiled in soup. That being said I always smoke first then make soup.

We've had some crazy windy weather here but the temps held really well. Have you thought of buying a replacement weber replacement fire grill and then wrapping the expanded metal? I go through almost bag and a half before dumping the ash.

Also no problem holding the temp on it.
My normal setting for 240* to 250 * side temp was only getting 180* to 190* reading in the beggining of the cook. I had just cleaned out the drum of ash! My grate is a weber briquet grate from a 22.5" w/ 3/4 " expanded metal 14" dia X 7" high.

Did two spatchcock chicks on my drum for my IL's this past Saturday. The night before, after cutting them I up, I put them in ziplocks an emptied a few bottles of old Italian dressing that had been setting my fridge god knows how long. Came out great.

About 4 pounds each, at 275-300 they were done in about 3 and 1/2 hours.
Love using Italian dressing on chicken. Your time frame of cook is about my normal time frame also. Chick pices take 2 hrs to 2.75 hrs or so. I like cooking my chicken center grate temp of 270* to 300* side temp of 240* to 260* Alls well that ends well. Thanks everyone who put in there .02 worth:icon_bigsmil

That's some great looking grub!!! I've got to check the freezer, I think I've got a couple of them there yard bird's hidding out there!!!

I gots me a couple of them yardbirds hiding in the freezer as well............just waitin for some of ploughboys yardbird rub to go on'em:biggrin:

Back