• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Backyard competition

bowhnter

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I was thinking of sending to our subdivision event comittees to see if there is any interest to have a "backyard" competition in conjunction with one of their other big events.

In case they are interested, are there any formats or 'backyard rules' that those of you who have done this may have?

My thought is that even the meat can be prepared at home because we wouldn't have the facilities or water needed, etc.

I did a search but didn't see much.

Thoughts?

Sounds like a good idea. I'd keep it simple to start with and just have one or two catagories. Maybe wings and ribs. Or a cook's choice category. Hopefully it will be something good for your neighborhood and could turn into an annual event.

Keep us posted please and let us know what happens and how you end up setting it up.

We did the Smokn at the Rocke...

About a month ago. We did chicken, ribs and tri-tip. The consenses was the longest ribs anyone cooked was 5 hrs., so we figured we could get it done. Most teams showed up between 7:30 and 8:30. We had a brief team meeting at 9 am. Had 7 teams and 6 judges, 4 of which were CBJ's, one even a Master. They had a brief judges meeting at 1:30 pm. Chicken was turned in at 2, tri-tip at 2:30 and ribs at 3. 3 people did brisket and it was turned in at 3:30, but I would not recommend that for a backyard event. Our brother Brethern Chris open up his driveway and side yard and we cooked away. We had a CBJ and Cert. Table captian Kelly McIntosh do our scoring. It was KCBS rules, and he even had a computer program that mimicked KCBS scoring to the tee! Also had the judges fill out comments on each meat, very good feed back I thought for a team.

Yeah, that's a good idea to keep it small to start. Something that can be started in the morning and finished that afternoon.

There are at least 3 members from different forums within 5 miles of here, so may be able to get at least one to come be a head judge.

If I get any response that there is some interest I will come back for more ideas.
Thanks

Back