• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Discussion Thread -> "And Now For Something Completely Different!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Thanks Guerre,
By putting smoked brisket in it instead of hamburger meat.
We've never done that. It was fantastic by the way!

My wife will usually cook a pound of hamburger meat and brown an onion and drop it in the crockpot with all the other ingredients in the morning.
She calls it taco soup.

If you would like a list of ingredients I would be happy to post them.

Btw, we had grandmas redhot peas this weekend and your ham for Christmas!:thumb: excellent!

Yes please! I love quick and easy and this stuff looks goooood. Glad y'all liked the ham and especially the peas! They are pretty scrumptious.

Yes please! I love quick and easy and this stuff looks goooood. Glad y'all liked the ham and especially the peas! They are pretty scrumptious.

Here ya go Guerre.
Cooking a great meal don't get much easer then this!
Special thanks goes out to my SIL Robyn for giving us this recipe a few years ago. (Rick Walters Wife) Google His name and you will see who he is.

I added the brisket! It was killer!

IMG_9694_zpsa9302cd2.jpg

Something totally different. Never done this ever. Turned out Great! Grill Roasted Butternut Squash Rigatoni.

Ignore the red peppers, that is for Tomorrow's dinner. Just using the flame when I have it.

Fried sage leaves in browned butter, removed sage for garnish. Pureed flesh only with a garlic clove, touch of chicken stock, the browned sage butter, salt and pepper.

Added finely grated parmesan and heavy cream

Topped with toasted pecans and fried sage leaves. The smoke comes through really nice with the natural sweatness of the squash. The piney peppery sage and rich flavor of the pecans really set this off and add texture to the pasta. This may be my new favorite use for Butternut Squash. Keeping this one in the bag of tricks for future use. Please use this as my entry pic. As advised.... "This is an official Entry".

I had a hard time coming up with something TOTALLY new. It is a vegetarian dish, something I don't make a habit of making but perhaps should more often. Tough catagory for sure, it really made me think outside the box. That was a fun one to do.

Last edited:
Very nice indeed Haastyle... :thumb:

Make sure to add the note "this is an official entry" in your post. Would hate to see you DQ'd for the lack of those couple words... :mrgreen:

As advised.... "This is an official Entry".

This should be at the top of your entry post, although you did edit it into your entry post, and Ronelle is a nice farker. Just a hint for future entries -- Make "This is an official Entry." the first thing you write. The TD mods have day jobs -- and they drink. :becky:

Please accept this entry in the completely different throw down. This is my first attempt at a bacon bowl appetizer. These are a mixture of crabmeat and cream cheese inside of a sautéed mushroom, topped with marinated shrimp. The bacon bowls didn't exactly hold their shape but all in all this is one of the best dishes I have ever created. The main ingredients.

IMG_0710_zpsc73cc6ea.jpg

The beginnings of the bowl.
IMG_0711_zps09975123.jpg

On the Weber. I also softened up the mushrooms in wine and butter.
IMG_0713_zpsb4526113.jpg

Coming along nicely.
IMG_0714_zps06a40678.jpg

Completed bowls during construction.
IMG_0716_zpsd6b78c0c.jpg

Ready to revisit the Weber.
IMG_0717_zpsf22397c6.jpg

Almost ready.
IMG_0719_zps46b3a797.jpg

Please use this pic. Thanks for looking.
IMG_0722_zps6168d2ce.jpg

Shagdog & tarhog,
Amazing entry's!

I know what I want for dinner and dessert now. :clap2:

Thanks, brother. Throw in a few ABTs for an appetizer and all your missing is a defibrillator.

Mongo's official "And Now for Something Completely Different" entry...

*** this is an official entry***

I'm not normally much of a dessert type of person but this meal called for one, or at least it called for my version of one (to be explained later). Ingredients as follows...

9vfc.jpg

Dump chocolate in the food processor...

3dzw.jpg

Chop up into fine granules...

yoev.jpg

Add butter, cream, vanilla, cinnamon, egg yoke and blend...

352y.jpg

And pour into plastic wrap lined ramekin to be chilled in fridge overnight. This is now basically a big chocolate truffle. :thumb:

47h4.jpg

Fast forward to the next day. Start of with a couple small lobster tails and some shrimp (aka crevettes in French :idea:)...

8iz9.jpg

Coated with oil, sprinkled lightly with various herbs/seasonings and on to the Weber they go...

y3cg.jpg

mmki.jpg

And a few minutes later they are good to go... :mrgreen:

yx01.jpg

While the lobster and crevettes were resting peacefully in the fridge, it was time to make up some sauce. Start by melting some butter...

kyad.jpg

Add some flour, whisk for a minute or two to make a roux and forget to focus the farkin' camera... :mad:

nrfz.jpg

Add warm half and half and continue to whisk over heat until it begins to thicken...

r8mm.jpg

Add salt, pepper, some grated nutmeg and whisk thoroughly...

uhnq.jpg

Add about 3oz of grated Gruyere...

fvfq.jpg

And once it's all stirred in and melted we have a Mornay sauce... :thumb:

zaak.jpg

At this point, I poured off about half of the Mornay sauce (for later use) and added dijon mustard, lemon juice, dry sherry and a few drops of hot sauce...

nwjm.jpg

I gave it a good wisk and I added one egg yoke...

0adq.jpg

Whisked all together and now we have a Thermidor sauce... :thumb:

uyfr.jpg

Now back to the lobster and crevettes. Gave them a rough chop...

3znk.jpg

Added the Thermidor sauce...

3hvq.jpg

Spooned the mixture (plus some grated parmesan and parsley)back into the reserved lobster shells...

xr6k.jpg

And on to the Traeger for about 15 minutes at 375F...

6od8.jpg

Remember the chocolate truffle I made the day before? Well I spooned it into a little pâté dish and plated it up with a couple graham crakers...

cnip.jpg

Consequently I'm calling this a truffle pâté... :thumb:

3isq.jpg

Wow. This is really taking a long time isn't it? :shocked: I'm getting thirsty. Is anyone else getting thirsty? Well, I think it's about time for a little snifter of brandy... :thumb:

2vq4.jpg

Oops. I almost forgot one of the critical ingredients...

1q0y.jpg

And here we have the finished meal. Lobster Thermidor aux crevettes with a Mornay sauce, garnished with truffle pâté, brandy and a fried egg on top and Spam (which is under the fried egg)... :thumb:

8dcj.jpg

Please use the picture below as the money shot...

j2vb.jpg

If you made it to the end of this post, thank you for hanging in there. If you are wondering, I did eat it all and it was very tasty... :hungry: Not sure I would do it again unless I had nothing better to do, but it was "Something Completely Different" and well worth the effort. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Official Entry: Redneck Sort Of PolyAsian Spicy Meatball W/ Stirfried Peppers

Well now. Cook something you haven't done before. Well, I've never made sweet and sour meatballs, ever, let alone on a 275 degree grill with K-Comp and hickory for smoke.

The meatballs were made with:
1 lb lamb
1 lb bison
2 eggs
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup black rice
1/2 cup orange marmalade
4 chopped green onions
4~5 minced garlic cloves
1 TBS freeze dried cilantro
1 tsp Chinese 5 spice
1 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp ground ginger

I also made a sauce:

1/2 cup Pomegranate wine vinegar
1/2 cup turbinado sugar
1/2 cup teriyaki sauce (Soy Vay)
1/4 cup fish sauce
2 TBS Soy sauce
zest of one lemon and one naval orange
1 crushed orange
1 crushed lemon
1 peeled and crushed tomato
1 tsp powdered garlic
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp Thai garlic chili sauce (Hot!)

Made some Thai black rice to serve on.

The stir fried veggies (Done in a little bit of roasted sesame oil):
1 Yellow bell pepper
1 Red bell pepper
2 large jalapenos, seeded and deveined, cut into matchsticks
1/4 orange peel julienned
1 bunch green onions, divided whites/pale green and dark green
5 cloves garlic sliced thinly
One orange, peeled and separated into sections
2 tbs pure maple syrup (Courtesy Deisel Dave - thanks!)

Here are some pics...

components_zps470e8c0e.jpg

components1_zps1aed0d8e.jpg

Sauce...

sauce_zps1b02a8bf.jpg

Meatballs...

mince_zps3706d967.jpg

mince1_zpsf23c0071.jpg

mince2_zps6b32cf68.jpg

mince3_zps28cb67fa.jpg

Meatballs in sauce

plate_zps67c1fd24.jpg

Stirfry...

stir_zps6203bbf1.jpg

stir1_zps9dd7b7e4.jpg

Oranges and dark green onion done last, with 2 tbs maple syrup to finish

stir3_zpsf6cb8442.jpg

stir4_zps72c1df79.jpg

Ready to serve...

plate2_zpsc5aa5c55.jpg

And plated...

Please use for TD entry

plate3_zps6020a983.jpg

I sort of did both recipes on the fly. They turned out very nicely. This stuff was pretty spicey though...I didn't mind.
Thanks for looking!

Back