• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

question about reverse flow smokers.

Mo-Dave

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the pros and cons are on a reverse flow, compared to other smokers. I have never had the opportunity to use one, and just wondered if they are a better smoker, in some respects. If they are, I would think if they are the better smoker then why aren't most builders making them? Just curious , no ax to grind here.
Dave

Not better but different. The reverse flow plate evens out the temp across the body of the smoke chamber. If designed properly the smaller chamber (>250gallons) are easy to manage.

The difference from a traditional offset, is that you loss the dual zone hot spot ability. On a traditional offset, the firebox side is significantly hotter than a reverse flow. I've used both, when you are comfortable with either you can produce some amazing 'cue.

That's the big difference like va con said. Just a litle more even heat thru the whole cooking chamber. The fire box side is a little hotter but not by a lot.

Dave, Sorry to get off topic but are you from Lake Ozarks territory?

Yes, Sunrise Beach/Hurricane Deck, next to the Hurricane Deck bridge, if you know the area. And you are where? if you don't mind telling the world, anyway the NSA already knows. :rolleyes:
Dave

Not better but different. The reverse flow plate evens out the temp across the body of the smoke chamber. If designed properly the smaller chamber (>250gallons) are easy to manage.

The difference from a traditional offset, is that you loss the dual zone hot spot ability. On a traditional offset, the firebox side is significantly hotter than a reverse flow. I've used both, when you are comfortable with either you can produce some amazing 'cue.

I have had a couple offset traditional smokers, just not a reverse flow. All my smokers are verticals at this time,. Well I have a vertical bandera with a side box, don't know if that counts as a vertical or offset well I guess its a vertical offset, but it is still being refurbished, soon to be cooking on it.
Dave

Reverse flow allows the heat from the fire box to pass through a chamber to evenly diffuse in the cooking chamber before the heated air and smoke are exposed to the meat. The heated air and smoke bath the meat as it changes direction back toward the exhaust near the fire box, thus the term reverse flow.

Reverse flow is not limited to horizontal smokers. Some vertical smokers like Humphrey's and Backwoods also utilize the reverse flow principles.

Last edited:
I'm seeing a lot of builders around my area making and selling reverse flow smokers. I know my next stick burner will be a reverse flow, probably a Lang.

On a reverse flow - while I know the goal is "even" temperature in the cooking chamber - but what should be the hotter side - near firebox or end where smoke exits the reverse flow baffle ?

On mine it is hotter where the heat and smoke exits from the RF baffle, opposite the firebox, but on the occasions I have actually measured it, my temp difference is only about 5*-10* across the cooking grate.

On a reverse flow - while I know the goal is "even" temperature in the cooking chamber - but what should be the hotter side - near firebox or end where smoke exits the reverse flow baffle ?

I've cooked on both, all about the same 120 gallon size. I agree with the comments above, not necessarily better but more even heat and I believe a RF is a little more fuel effecient and you don't need to "feed the beast" quite as often.

The thicker the heat baffle plate, the more even the heat should be, and this means more money. This also means more weight if you move it around a lot. I kind of like the normal offset so you can have dual cooking zones. But to each their own. Maybe a hybrid is the best option like how many people modify their offsets, with movable baffle plates to set up the cooking zones as necessary for your cook.

Hey Guys,

So yeah I have been cooking on my Lang for a couple of years now. It's a custom 6'x13' trailer with a 60 deluxe on one side and a 40 original and chargriller on the the other. At the time I had a smaller truck (Tacoma) so I wanted more space on my trailer to haul tables, coolers, wood, etc - hence the wide body trailer design. Ben and the gang at Land built me a great pit. I now own a larger truck w/canopy (Tundra) so all that extra on-board space isn't needed.

Although I've cooked on traditional offset cookers, I have a lot more experience with Lang's reverse offset design (1/4" steel, non insulated) and how it's worked for me. While I can't for sure say the one is better than the other, I will tell you my experience with my Lang. It's an awesome pit. It didn't have much of a learning curve and was affordable for me. At the time, there were a few teams he in the Pacific Northwest using Langs as opposed to other trailer pits so I was able to study them closely.

I love the flavor and color I get on the meat. Yes, you need to feed it...not much sleep with that pit. Not like my Stumps which got me so much sleep it was almost criminal. That's a different story though...

I use cheap charcoal to get the steel hot then wood (100% of the time) to cook the meat. Depending on the type and dryness of the wood I will get an average of 1 to 1 1/2 hours of burn time before adding fuel. By raising a lowering the tongue and fiddling with the stack damper you will achieve more even temps throughout the cooker. I can generally achieve a 10 degree difference front to back but of course the closer you get to the fire box, the hotter and boy, it's hot down there. Like a microwave.

I am no engineer but I will say this: Ben needs to rethink the fire box dimensions and stack diameter on the smaller pit line (40 and 60 models). Bigger fireboxes and slightly wider stack diameters, IMO, will produce better draft and air-intake/fire combustion. This is NOT a criticism, rather an opinion from my experience...others' may vary :)

Lynnae Oxley
Sugars Barbecue
BBQ Pitmasters RGC Season 4

Yes, Sunrise Beach/Hurricane Deck, next to the Hurricane Deck bridge, if you know the area. And you are where? if you don't mind telling the world, anyway the NSA already knows. :rolleyes:
Dave
I live down by Ava. I'm fishing a 2 day bass tournament in October on Lake O.

Hey Guys,

So yeah I have been cooking on my Lang for a couple of years now. It's a custom 6'x13' trailer with a 60 deluxe on one side and a 40 original and chargriller on the the other. At the time I had a smaller truck (Tacoma) so I wanted more space on my trailer to haul tables, coolers, wood, etc - hence the wide body trailer design. Ben and the gang at Land built me a great pit. I now own a larger truck w/canopy (Tundra) so all that extra on-board space isn't needed.

Although I've cooked on traditional offset cookers, I have a lot more experience with Lang's reverse offset design (1/4" steel, non insulated) and how it's worked for me. While I can't for sure say the one is better than the other, I will tell you my experience with my Lang. It's an awesome pit. It didn't have much of a learning curve and was affordable for me. At the time, there were a few teams he in the Pacific Northwest using Langs as opposed to other trailer pits so I was able to study them closely.

I love the flavor and color I get on the meat. Yes, you need to feed it...not much sleep with that pit. Not like my Stumps which got me so much sleep it was almost criminal. That's a different story though...

I use cheap charcoal to get the steel hot then wood (100% of the time) to cook the meat. Depending on the type and dryness of the wood I will get an average of 1 to 1 1/2 hours of burn time before adding fuel. By raising a lowering the tongue and fiddling with the stack damper you will achieve more even temps throughout the cooker. I can generally achieve a 10 degree difference front to back but of course the closer you get to the fire box, the hotter and boy, it's hot down there. Like a microwave.

I am no engineer but I will say this: Ben needs to rethink the fire box dimensions and stack diameter on the smaller pit line (40 and 60 models). Bigger fireboxes and slightly wider stack diameters, IMO, will produce better draft and air-intake/fire combustion. This is NOT a criticism, rather an opinion from my experience...others' may vary :)

Lynnae Oxley
Sugars Barbecue
BBQ Pitmasters RGC Season 4

Thanks for the information Lynnae. I'm looking hard at the Lang right now. I was going to get the 36" patio, but after watching you all cook those hogs last week, my wife thinks I need to step up to the 46" so I can get a small one on there, I think she's right.

My one concern with a reverse flow pit is the radiant heat coming from the bottom plate. That plate will transfer a lot of heat to the underside of meat. I haven't cooked on a reverse flow but I own a large offset that had tuning plates. My meat cooks much better ever since I removed the plates. The only downside to a traditional offset is that it's hotter by the firebox but that can play to your advantage. No matter what you do, get an insulated firebox.

One thing I would add is that, with a horizontal reverse flow, the drippings will hit that plate and incinerate almost instantly making a lot of smoke of it's own. This is particularly apparent with a full load of butts.

a little more fuel to come up to temp probably.. is my guess.. I use about a 1/4 bag of charcoal and 2 splits to get my Traditional up to 300 in about 45 minutes.. in the summer and 1 hour and 1/4 in the winter time.. or if it is cool outside. Since a RF you need to heat the baffle.. and start your draft which is a lot longer route Vs. Traditional for the heat and smoke to travel... My guess is it would take more time..

My LANG 36" RF only takes about 20-30 minutes to get to 300. I've not noticed any problem with the rack heating up higher than the rest of the chamber as it sits several inches above the plates.

The area closest to the firebox gets a bit hotter than further away, but not significantly.

I LOVE my LANG!!!

Back