how to market new sauce?

Crazy Tex

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have been overwhelmed with sauce orders since a group camping trip where I cooked for everyone.. I have canned and sent out well over 100 pints of what my friends have named 'Voss Soss' (Voss is my last name).

So, seeing the enthusiasm and support, I have thought about marketing my sauce. I have contacted the local university's Small Business Development Center for help, but so far, I haven't heard back from them.

Has anyone done this, what are the steps I have to take, legalities, how to get it nutritionally analyzed, etc, etc.

VossSoss_zps73a8b543.jpg

I have no answers bit I am anxious to hear what others say. I make sauce for a few people and never give out my recipe. Would like to give it a try selling at the farmers market but it makes me nervous of liability and such

I know.. kind of my fears too, right now I just 'sell' (and I use the word lightly) to my friends and aquaintances. Basically just getting enough to cover costs, and shipping if any is needed.

You will need to work with a co-packer. They can handle the formulation of the sauce. Most will also handle the nutrition testing and results. You will need to handle the legal end, in terms of trademark, licensing etc...

The recipe will likely change for bottling, and there will be test batches, tweaks etc... You will then need to decide on either selling yourself, or working with a distributor

Hi Matt,

My friend sold sauce and according to state law was not allowed to manufacture the sauce in the home. It had to be mixed, cooked, and packaged in a separate facility that was approved as a "commercial food processing facility".

The cost of putting up a new building, permits, and inspections out weighed the cost of paying a commercial packer to make and package the sauce to his specifications.

He passed away in August 2010 while on vacation, but the his wife and daughter still has strong sales, below is the link to the web sales page.

They just released a new "Happy Apple" BBQ sauce.

Butch's Smack Your Lips BBQ Sauce

Not to hijack your post, but I see you are in Wichita Falls. My son is finishing his training at Sheppard AFB before his overseas deployment in 2 weeks. I also trained there 40 years ago to the date that he arrived on the base.

You may check with Old World Spices in Kansas City. They make a lot of sauces and rubs that are mass produced. The other comments about having to have it made in commercial kitchen seem to be correct from my understanding.

Hi Matt,

Not to hijack your post, but I see you are in Wichita Falls. My son is finishing his training at Sheppard AFB before his overseas deployment in 2 weeks. I also trained there 40 years ago to the date that he arrived on the base.

No hijacking here! Thank you, and thank your son for your service to our country!

Thank you for the advice. Looks like I won't have the startup $ I need, or the time.. but I'm still considering it an option.

No hijacking here! Thank you, and thank your son for your service to our country!

Thank you for the advice. Looks like I won't have the startup $ I need, or the time.. but I'm still considering it an option.

Thank You, and I will pass the message on to my son as well.

If you need to contact the family, I can have you contact them privately for more information on who they use as a producer. I know they get like 10 pallets at a time and they sell out in about 3 month through web sales and sales at events. They also sell gallons and 5 gallon buckets to other competitors in the BBQ circuit.

Just PM me if you wish to contact them.

Back