Sauce

Hooked4Life

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Our first comp is on Saturday. How do you guys make your sauce on site? I assume you can't use a propane or electric burner?

Do you have to make your sauce on site or can you make it ahead of time at home?

Agree with making sauce ahead of time . . .
gives it time to get happy and blend.

Good Luck!

I make mine as well, I would love to buy it. What is the most popular? I don't want any secrets just a type.

I make mine as well, I would love to buy it. What is the most popular? I don't want any secrets just a type.

Blues Hog Original, Blues Hog Tennessee Red, Head Country Original just to name a few popular ones. Mix some together to get a flavor you like and try it out.

Blues Hog Original, Blues Hog Tennessee Red, Head Country Original just to name a few popular ones. Mix some together to get a flavor you like and try it out.

Just a word of caution from a judge - Be careful with using "Blues Hog", as it has a VERY distinctive flavor that will mask the meat flavor on ANYTHING that it is put on!
Myself, along with MANY other judges are getting VERY tired of tasting "Blues Hog" on anything as we can't taste the flavor of the meat.

Our first comp is on Saturday. How do you guys make your sauce on site? I assume you can't use a propane or electric burner?

Why make your own sauce? There are commercially available sauces that the manufacturers have spent years perfecting. Don't re-invent the wheel. Buy a sauce and doctor it up if you must.

Why make your own sauce? There are commercially available sauces that the manufacturers have spent years perfecting. Don't re-invent the wheel. Buy a sauce and doctor it up if you must.

That's kind of my thing now. Whenever I'm at the grocery store I always try and buy the cheapest, discontinued brand (usually less than a dollar a pint) and then bring it home and doctor it up. I have a pretty good mix going on right now. Mix and heat it up the day before, after it cooks put it into a mason jar and put in fridge. I like the foil pan idea for comps.

Just a word of caution from a judge - Be careful with using "Blues Hog", as it has a VERY distinctive flavor that will mask the meat flavor on ANYTHING that it is put on!
Myself, along with MANY other judges are getting VERY tired of tasting "Blues Hog" on anything as we can't taste the flavor of the meat.

For comps, what about sauces with whiskey in them????

For comps, what about sauces with whiskey in them????

If they mask the flavor of the meat then "NO!".

Generally speaking, the sauces we encounter in the judging tent are semi-sweet (NOT TOO sweet!), with a wee bit of heat (NOT TOO MUCH heat!), and they enhance the flavor of the meat. Usually, it is NOT a 1-sauce fits all! Different sauces enhance the flavors of meat differently.

definitely make sauce @ home before the comp. Find a sauce you like & doctor it - add pineapple juice, dry rub, a drop of hot sauce, molasses, honey, etc. Make it your own.

We mix them together with other sauces and spices, so we don't use any sauce at full strength.

If they mask the flavor of the meat then "NO!".

Generally speaking, the sauces we encounter in the judging tent are semi-sweet (NOT TOO sweet!), with a wee bit of heat (NOT TOO MUCH heat!), and they enhance the flavor of the meat. Usually, it is NOT a 1-sauce fits all! Different sauces enhance the flavors of meat differently.

^^^ +1 what he said from a judges perspective

When I compete, I make my own sauce on-site, but it's made from 3 different sauces and water (in different amounts), all applied HOT, so I bring my coleman stoves, mix and heat the different sauces on-site.

Back