Man, not another FIRST BRISKET thread!! [Pr0n]

PorkDork

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Got a my first brisket getting ready to be put on the smoker this morning! Wanted to give a thanks to everybody who has contributed to any forum regarding briskest in the past 10 years because I think I've read them all in the past couple weeks! Whew! :shock:

Safeway was getting darn near $4 a pound for a brisket so I had them cut off a part of the point to save a couple bucks (as in $35)! So the first pic is what I ended up with, an 11# brisket. After some trimming of course!

Covered that baby up with a heavy mixture of kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper and plow boys bovine bold. Never used the bovine bold, so I'm stoked to give it a try.

Currently getting the UDS up to temp and under control so I can throw that bad boy on there!

My plan is to bring the brisket up to 165. Wrap it with a a cup or 2 of the delicious magical juice I use in my water pan and bring up to 195-200, or until it passes the probe test. I'm hoping from start to finish I can get it done in about 10 hours for when I put it on. I'm planning on running my temp at 225-250.

Wish me luck!

More to come!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 317
All seasoned up, ready for the smoker!

Heavy on the fresh ground pepper, kosher salt and plow boys bovine bold.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 313
Thanks cowgirl! I'm feeding the family tonight so hopefully it turns out eatable!

The meat is on! It took me a couple hours of prep time but were finally smokin'! As you may notice the drum is in a state of repair (look the the UDS thread later for more details), I've grinder off all the paint and grease and rust and I'm going to paint it with duplicolor engine enamel. A nice matte black to hide all the grease and grime. :becky:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 299
there's a Cash n Carry in Pendelton , might be worth the drive , there meat prices are great , they have pork butts for $1.19 a lb right now , 15lb average

Stand by for this important update: smokers holding at 240, right where I want it. Gotta love the UDS! Brisket is currently 135 and rising. Got sweet blue pumping out making all my neighbors jealous! Man I love BBQ! :laugh:

Just picked up a brisket this A.M. at Cash and Carry, 2.39/# for Select, Went in the PBC an hour ago. Doing some St louis ribs too.

Curious to hear how your timing works out, keep us posted. I figured mine at about 11# after trimming, but am cooking in the 300 +/- range, hoping to be done by 6:00 at the latest.

good luck,
KC

4 hours from when I put it on the internal temp is now 160. I'm going to let it get to 165 maybe 170 if I'm not getting the color I want. Then it's into foil with some juice. I'll post another pic when I wrap it up!

Code3rrt: man, I knew I was getting ripped off! From now on Its cash and carry first!!

6.5 hours in and the temp had only got to 163, and since I'm feeding friends and family, and they no donut would like to eat at a reasonable time I decided to take it off and wrap it up. The color looked great, if anything a little to much color. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 201
So here it is getting ready to get wrapped up in some HD foil. I put in the remaining juice, think it was about 3 cups or so. Had a little piece of trimmings that was mostly meat that I put in the water pan as well, it was a nice little preview of what were shooting for. Was going to get a picture of it but it disappeared before I could get a shot of it... Hate it when that happens! :laugh:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 200
It looks like it is all going along fine.

I buy most large cuts at Cash and Carry as well, along with foil, butcher paper, ziploc bags, trash bags etc...

Well here's the final product. It came out alright for the first try. Thinner parts of the flat we're a little dry but I'm guessing that's relatively normal?? Flavor was pretty good, I was surprised that the bovine bold was sweeter than I thought it was going to be. Maybe next time ill go a little easier on the BB and heavier on the pepper. Everybody loved it and said they could be my bbq Guinea pig anytime.

I guess I have a couple questions for you brisket pros: is there an internal temp you let it rest to? Or what is the best way to know when it's nice and tender? I took it up to 203 before taking it off and into cooler. Then I let it rest to 165 before slicing. I did the toothpick test and it slid in ALMOST without effort. There was still slight resistance but I was worried about time. Any ideas?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 72
Just like people, there are no two the same. Each brisket will cook different and be done at a different temp. The best way to test to see if it is done, is the probe test. A probe should go into the brisket like sliding into soft butter. Generally letting it rest in a cooler for an hour would be good enough. Temp really doesn't come into play when you are resting a brisket.

Looks great though.

Did you use any smoke wood ? How did your grill temps maintain while smoking it ? One big thing I have learned is that It's done when it's done. The brisket flat does not operate on a human's time schedule. Are you familiar with "the stall" when smoking meat? I defer to the Pros here but it looks like a good first try.

Back