• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

reusing lump

dad311

Reaction score
Im new to the whole lump charcoal thing and Im having temp issues with used lump in my kamado.

Here is my issue:

I make steaks one night, getting the grill up to 600+. As soon as the steaks were finished, I closed all the vents.

The next night, I attempted pizza, but could not get the grill past 300 or so. I raked the coals round to get any ash out, made sure the bottom grate holes were open and added some new lump, making 60% old lump and 40% new lump. The fire looked red hot, but the temp just wasn't there.

Using used lump for a low and slow should not be an issue, but used lump for a hot fire (450+)just doesn't seem to work.

What am I doing wrong????

Used lump will only become red hot coals not the fire you may be hoping for it was already burned all the way through so there is no part of it that is fiber to catch fire again. It will add to the coal base so do as you did - start your new fire in a chimney and when hot and ready pour it onto the leftover. 60% old lump seems really high to me tho I usually end up with 30% old left for the next cook.

That is what I am doing as I write this. I've got about 30% old and 70% new. I am going to use the Egg to sear a big old rib-eye. We'll see.....

ok first old or new the ash will choke the fire. make sure you get rid of that.

I reuse the old and yes it doesnt burn as hot, so when i want to sear or cook hot, i use the old lump in the chimney and fill the cooker with new. catches quick, uses the old up and i get a nice hot burn.

Red hot coals? Not hot enough? Add more lump. You're getting to scientific.

Red hot coals? Not hot enough? Add more lump. You're getting to scientific.

I agree with this. How are you starting your fire? Lighter cubes? I also place some new lump on top of the old, make a little hole in the top of the new. I set a fire cube in it, then light it and cover it with a couple bigger new pieces. I've never had trouble getting the temps high except once and the bad of lump had got wet and went to chit. :mmph:

The ash on the charcoal acts as an insulating layer that prevents the charcoal from lighting and burning effectively.

Sometimes I use a bucket, that has most of the bottom cut out, and a piece of hardware cloth covering the inside to filter out the very small pieces and allow all the ash to fall through/get knocked off when I shake the bucket.

I usually only do that when I know I need a real hot fire.

Agree with the above statements. Another factor could be the moisture in the air. If your grill is stored outside and the weather has been wet/humid... the used coals in the grill will take in that moisture and therefore burn slower/less hot.

Agree with the above statements. Another factor could be the moisture in the air. If your grill is stored outside and the weather has been wet/humid... the used coals in the grill will take in that moisture and therefore burn slower/less hot.

3+ inches of rain the day before and the grill was stored outside. This may have been the cause.

Back