Chicken Suiza and Tortilla Soup With a Twist (pron pron pron)

cameraman

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
When my wife and I were first married we worked in a Mexican restaurant in Jamaica Vermont called Pancho Villas. She worked in the kitchen and I worked on the floor. It was my introduction to jalapenos and Mexican food. One of my favorite meals was Enchilada Suizas. This is it along with a chicken soup with sofrito and in honor of the season matzoh balls.

I made a wet rub with olive oil. The Todd's dirt gave it a nice earthy base and kik'n chik'n gave it a bump
SWChix_1.jpg

SWChix_2.jpg

SWChix_3.jpg

SWChix_4.jpg

I worked my hand under the skin and broke the connective tissue then rubbed the spices right on the meat. The skin just got the oil from my gloved hands.
SWChix_5.jpg

I set up the WSM without the water pan and put a drip pan under the chix to catch the drippings. I wasn't getting the temps I wanted so I used a trick I learned here. It did the trick.
SWChix_6.jpg

SWChix_7.jpg

SWChix_8.jpg

The birds were tasty, the skin was bite through, but not crispy. The temps started to drop a little the last half hour. Next time I'll use more briquettes.
SWChix_9.jpg

I made a broth for the soup from the carcases
SWChix_10.jpg

The ingredients for the Suisa sauce. Not pictured is an onion.
SWChix_11.jpg

The sofrito for the soup
SWChix_12.jpg

The peppers are from a batch of Hatch chiles I roasted and put up last August
SWChix_13.jpg

SWChix_14.jpg

SWChix_15.jpg

SWChix_16.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Very nice. I love hot stuff but that may be out of the park! Nice post.

If those were the 2011 batch of hatch chiles you'd be right. This year's was much milder. The enchiladas had a kick but were not HOT by any means.

I appreciate the kind words. It was good eats but I'd make a few changes the next time. I'd increase the amount of rub by half, I'd roast the tomatillos, green pepper and onion instead of boiling, I'd use corn tortillas instead of the hybrid mix and I think I'd make it up a day in advance because the left overs were more flavorful. Running the tortillas through hot oil before wrapping helped them keep their integrity. The soup and matzoh balls also were as good or better the next day. Go figure.

I had left over sauce so I cooked up some pasta and took some pulled chicken and heated it up in a bit of marinara. When the noodles were not quite done I put them in the saute pan with the marinara and tossed them with a tablespoon of the suisa sauce. I'd do that again in a heart beat.

That is awesome. My favorite enchaladas also. I put some chopped black olives and rotels in the wrap. I know what I'm Cookin this weekend! Thanks

That is awesome. My favorite enchaladas also. I put some chopped black olives and rotels in the wrap. I know what I'm Cookin this weekend! Thanks

That sounds good. My filling was a little on the spare side. Next time I might stretch out a little on the filling.

Back