• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Custom Fit Backwoods Run Dry Insert

How many of you run you Backwoods dry now or have wanted to.

• Run Dry Now

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Have wanted to try it

Votes: 16 48.5%
  • Just a passing thought

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Leave it alone its a Backwoods

Votes: 8 24.2%

• Total voters
I purchased some low fire terra cotta clay (Amazon) and formed into the permanent water pan on my Pitmaker Safe about 1/2" thick. Fired up the pit to 400° and set it. Works great as a heat sink. Just cover with foil before cooking--easy cleanup. Did this as an experiment-still there a year later. Think it costs $35 and I only used half the clay. Sometimes you gotta think "inside" the box. :)

I will try to get the first prototype for my G2 Chubby soon.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

If you do a shallow enough dry pan with a thick steel base, we wouldn't have to run the heat diverter in the g2 chubby and gain a lot of room for more coal and larger wood chunks

Now there's an idea thanks man:thumbup: shoot me your addy a BBQ goodie will show up next week

Our first prototype will be one to fit the G2 chubby since that is what I have at home to mess with on a daily basis. Thanks agian Untraceable for your suggestion on this set up I am on it.

No I definitely will not just starting with the Gs since I have one

Ok all the info for the first unit will be at the fabricators next week so hopefully I will have one to play with soon after.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

Well we have been trying to find a light weight product to use inside the run dry insert that will give us the good heat sink properties we want. Tough thing indeed. How important would it be to you to have it light weight so in and out would be easier or use the a heavier material that would give the most benefit.

In my Party after deciding there was no way I was going to deal with cleaning the water pan after every cook I started to experiment with different ways like sand, etc. What has worked best for me was that I wad up balls of aluminum foil and line the inside of the pan tightly. Then I cover the top with another piece of foil. I put the bottom grate on top of that and a water filled aluminum deep lasagna pan half way with water. Clean up is a snap, temps always steady, and plenty of moisture.

Well we have been trying to find a light weight product to use inside the run dry insert that will give us the good heat sink properties we want. Tough thing indeed. How important would it be to you to have it light weight so in and out would be easier or use the a heavier material that would give the most benefit.

What weight are you talking about. a few pounds in a 150+ pound smoker is nothing.

Not worried about the overall weight but how heavy it is to take in and out if guys want to switch back and forth during a cook.

Are any of you familiar with the WSM "Piedmont Pan" heat sink mod?

http://virtualweberbullet.com/piedmontpan.html

You take 2 Brinkmann Charcoal pans and nest them together with spacers between the lip and foil over and cook dry.

No reason I could see not doing the same with 2 sheets of aluminum or steel plates with spacers between them and setting them in the waterpan of any Backwoods.

I know in my Gater the heat deflector is too thin and could stand to be a little thicker steel.

just a thought.

We are looking to remove the water pan totaly and just ad an insert in its palce

Last edited:
Back