chicken bath for comp's

dano

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Quick question. My team has been practicing chicken lately (hands down our worst category) and can't decide between a margarine or a butter bath.
We like the consistency of the chicken with butter but we prefer the flavor that the margarine has been giving us. Any thoughts?

Quick question. My team has been practicing chicken lately (hands down our worst category) and can't decide between a margarine or a butter bath.
We like the consistency of the chicken with butter but we prefer the flavor that the margarine has been giving us. Any thoughts?

This seems backwards to me. I would think you would get more flavor from butter. ???

I have used this from Restaurant Depot the last few times and have been pleased with the results.

remy4ata.jpg

why would you want your chicken to taste like butter or margarine?

Honestly to me it really doesn't pick up much butter flavor. It just seems to be a good medium to braise the chicken in and get the skin to the bite through stage(with no scraping whatsoever btw) without shrinking it much.

We started out doing it and the scores have been consistently high so we just kept at it.

why would you want your chicken to taste like butter or margarine?
It's not that we want it to taste like butter or margarine. We just have noticed that the end result does taste slightly different is all.

Have you tried using a combination of the two?

Do you (or anyone for that matter) add any chicken stock to the butter bath????

Try adding olive oil to butter. It reduces your risk of burning the butter.

Eggspert BBQ

I have used pure unclarified butter plenty of times at 325-350 with no burning whatsoever. In fact not even a sign that I t wss anywhere close, and thats in a Bubba Keg with nothing between the fire and the pan.

Back