• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Favorite wood for Brisket??

All our meats go on the Jambo at different times but we use red oak and apple for the whole cook. Red oak gives a real nice color. We use probably 1 apple log for every 2-3 oak logs.

Apple was always my favorite on anything, but when I switched to 50/50 pecan and cherry the judges liked it better. Actually start Jambo with pecan wood and switch to cherry pellets so not really 50/50 like with the FEC...

We've had 4 180s with peach......

You going to be in Young Harris? We're making peach pellets tomorrow, I think. Been out for a long, long time. I admit it, I don't understand the peach mystique. Just doesn't work for me.

Thanks again everyone. since my briskets have all come out looking like charcoal so far, maybe i will give the cherry a try and see if I can get a little mahogany colored charcoal on the next one. :wacko:

Good to see the 2-1 pecan to cherry ratio is popular. I'm using Mojobricks for both on the BWS and WSM, but I also like Western Wood products a lot. The cherry Mojobricks in particular seem to give a nice color.

I use hickory and/or pecan for brisket. I used to use post oak and live oak a lot too. I've never added fruit woods to beef, but lots of people do it.

If you want to try mesquite, burn it down to coals first, then you don't have to worry about ruining your meat. I'm from Texas and still like mesquite a lot. So from time to time, I'll heat up my pit with it, and then throw the meat on with some seasoned hickory or pecan. This way you get some mesquite hints in the flavor profile from the early smoke.

I prefer fruit woods with my pork and chicken.

Amount of smoke flavor is all about fire/temp management. And that takes practice to master to your tastes.

Back