• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

FTPBC First Cook (Lots of pictures)

If I have one complaint it is that there is no way to shut it down. You have to let the fire burn out or deal with dumping live fire out of it. At home that's not a big deal except it's burning more fuel, but if I wanted to use it at a comp I would have to dump the fire in order to cool it off to pack up.

I'm a HUGE fan of the PBC... just did 2 chickens tonight...the people that ate it were BLOWN away. Hands down the BEST chicken they have ever had, period! :)

However, the "not shutting her down after a cook" thing does kind of bug me. Thinking I'm gonna try something... going to get a few flat "refrigerator" style magnets to put over the holes after a cook. Just pull out rebar and place magnets, and put one that is considerably larger than hole on bottom...thinking that just may choke it out. I hope!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd hit all o dat! Did you cut into the halves? Don't know if it's due to the hangin, but I found pockets of juice between the thigh rests up against the cavity. Never really gotten that when flat on the grate cause gravity makes it run out.

I'm a HUGE fan of the PBC... just did 2 chickens tonight...the people that ate it were BLOWN away. Hands down the BEST chicken they have ever had, period! :)

However, the "not shutting her down after a cook" thing does kind of bug me. Thinking I'm gonna try something... going to get a few flat "refrigerator" style magnets to put over the holes after a cook. Just pull out rebar and place magnets, and put one that is considerably larger than hole on bottom...thinking that just may choke it out. I hope!

You could probably use corks to plug the rebar holes. A decent sized magnet placed between the drum and vent flap might do it just enough to choke it out.

Last edited by a moderator:

That's an interesting idea. If you try it please let me know.

I'd hit all o dat! Did you cut into the halves? Don't know if it's due to the hangin, but I found pockets of juice between the thigh rests up against the cavity. Never really gotten that when flat on the grate cause gravity makes it run out.

Yep. I let them cool enough to touch and then broken them into quarters so I could bag them. Tons of juice!

If the magnets don't work (I'm sure they will), you could also jsut ball up some foil and jam it in there! Not that I am biased towards foil or anything.

Fine idea!

I went out to check on the PBC at 10:00, 7 hours after I fired it up, and there is still a decent bed of live coals in the fire basket. I didn't take the Thermopen with me so I didn't get a temp, but it is still very hot. I was hoping to be able to move it to the garage by now but that isn't happening. I moved it inside our fence, away from the house and I'll put it away in the morning. It's not supposed to snow, fortunately.

Looks Awesome! Great pics also. Thanks for sharing

I went out to check on the PBC at 10:00, 7 hours after I fired it up, and there is still a decent bed of live coals in the fire basket. I didn't take the Thermopen with me so I didn't get a temp, but it is still very hot. I was hoping to be able to move it to the garage by now but that isn't happening. I moved it inside our fence, away from the house and I'll put it away in the morning. It's not supposed to snow, fortunately.

Safe to assume you are letting it burn out with the lid on? I take the lid off when I am done cooking and can usually put it back in the garage within 3 hours. It may be a tad warm still, but I just put the lid back on before carrying it to the garage, and haven't had any problems whatsoever.

Safe to assume you are letting it burn out with the lid on? I take the lid off when I am done cooking and can usually put it back in the garage within 3 hours. It may be a tad warm still, but I just put the lid back on before carrying it to the garage, and haven't had any problems whatsoever.

I didn't have it off all the way since it was in an unprotected area (the front yard). I did have it open about 1/3. I can just see some kid walking by decide to throw something into it!

I could have dug out the leather gloves and pulled out the basket, but that seemed like too much work :)

I would eat the chicken. Jury is still out.No harm intended.:rolleyes:

Back