WSM 22.5 vs 18.5 sizes

Trumpstylz

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Does anyone have both? I'm trying to figure out what the length difference in the midsection is on the two. Thanks

Full specs are here:
http://www.weber.com/home

Are you asking if the mid section on one is taller than the other?

For 22.5 with lid open:
With the lid open:
Height: 48.5 inches
Width R-L: 23 inches
Depth: 24 inches

For 18.5 with lid open:
With the lid open:
Height: 41 inches
Width R-L: 19 inches
Depth: 21 inches

Hopefully this helps.
DSCN4701-1.jpg

get the big one, you'll be happy you did. Mine is loaded right now both racks. The 18" is tough to get spares into lengthwise.

I have been going back and forth about getting 22.5 WSM or the 18.5 WSM I have been looking at website doing all my research and I think I am leaning towards the 22.5 WSM.

I really don't see myself ever needing the 22 until another 5 or 10 years when I have a family. For now, my cooks don't require that much space. If it were just the extra cost out the door, I might do it, but then I factor inn all the extra fuel cost over the years, and the combination just don't make sense.

Plus, I know that one of the few weaknesses of the 18 is the inability to do as many ribs, but I'm not really a huge rib guy. I like them now and then, but I prefer brisket and such.

Part of the reason I was asking about the length is b/c I was thinking I could hang meats in the 18.5 off the grate with meat hooks like in the pbc and have the best of both worlds. But, it might turn out to be more trouble than its worth.

That branch of the family:

DSC_5940-PP.JPG

I've had the 18.5 for several years and have been mostly happy with capacity but when I saw a 22.5 on CL for $150 I jumped. ;)

One thing that is a bit of an issue for me (on the 18.5) is ribs. I can fit two racks of back ribs on each grate as long as I trim a few bones off the end.

2012-07-27_12-31-14_39.jpg

Same for smallish racks of spares except the spares need to overlap a bit. I've also added capacity with a third grate between the other two.

Some cooks get around this limitation by rolling their ribs to fit more.

I'm cooking for two and if I had to limit myself to one WSM it would be the 18.5. I probably use the mini-WSM as often because it can hold quite a bit. If you plan to cook often for parties or large groups, the 22.5 would be warranted. You will make your charcoal vendor happy. :wink:

If you didn't get the dimensions you are looking for, let me know and I'll get measurements.

I really don't see myself ever needing the 22 until another 5 or 10 years when I have a family. For now, my cooks don't require that much space. If it were just the extra cost out the door, I might do it, but then I factor inn all the extra fuel cost over the years, and the combination just don't make sense.

Plus, I know that one of the few weaknesses of the 18 is the inability to do as many ribs, but I'm not really a huge rib guy. I like them now and then, but I prefer brisket and such.

Part of the reason I was asking about the length is b/c I was thinking I could hang meats in the 18.5 off the grate with meat hooks like in the pbc and have the best of both worlds. But, it might turn out to be more trouble than its worth.

I have a family of 4 and thought the same thing that I would never need the 22.5 but I have regretted it every since I bought my 18.5. I like to use aluminum pans to cook my butts and can only fit one half size pan per rack on the 18.5.

Back