What are you getting for whole Butts?

B

Bearly Blazin'

I ran across a guy a few weeks ago selling Boston Butt's for $20. He just set up on the side of the road with his pit. I bought one and it was pretty good. No seasoning at all! I thought most people were getting more these day's for Butt's. What's the going rate in your area?

That's not much more than raw product cost. No way he's making any money. $50 - $60 is about right in my area.

They're on sale here for $1.17/lb raw. That's ~$9.00 per butt. Can't imagine he's making much $$$ @ $20 unless he's getting them from the rendering plant... :bolt:

If he getting them for 12 buck he making 8 bucks a butt if he sell enough he can make money.But need to sell a good volume

Well turns out the guy I spoke of is the new welding teacher in our county Trade School (I know they have a new name for them these day's but that's what it was when I was in high school). I drive a school bus and also drive the Trade School route twice a day. I had taken him my plans for a new smoker and realized it was the same guy.

After thinking about it I believe he is selling a half butt rather than a whole but. Not sure. It was on the small side though.

$10 per lb and you're still better off selling it by the sandwich for $5 with 4 oz. serving. We stopped selling whole butts.

I had a chance to talk to the man who was selling Butt's for $20 yesterday. And yes they are half butt's. So he is getting $40 per butt. So he is making some money. I have been asking around in my area and most Butt sales are going for about $30. We have a lot of fund raisers in our area who cook Boston Butt's and sale them so that pretty much set's the price. I checked with a local "Hole in the Wall" BBQ joint and they are getting a little over $10 a pound.

Thanks for all the input guy's. I am thinking about starting to sell BBQ but have not decided if I want to keep it small and set up on the road side or not.

Back