Do you ever mix your woods

B

BlueIdTxan

ok folks
I have seen everyone using 1 wood or nother. Does anyone ever mix the woods while smoking or am I the lone man out on this:eek: . I dont like smoking with any 1 wood, I usually get a very strong (over the top) flavor:frown: . I prefer mixing the woods (mesquite and hickory) and then put on some fruit wood for a additional taste.:mrgreen:

Any others do this...

BlueIdTxan said:
ok folks
I have seen everyone using 1 wood or nother. Does anyone ever mix the woods while smoking or am I the lone man out on this:eek: . I dont like smoking with any 1 wood, I usually get a very strong (over the top) flavor:frown: . I prefer mixing the woods (mesquite and hickory) and then put on some fruit wood for a additional taste.:mrgreen:

Any others do this...

Mesquite and Hickory are two really, really, strong flavored woods.
So, YUP--over the top on flavor.

I use Oak (or charcoal) for heat and add Hickory, Pecan, Mesquite, or "fruit woods" for flavor modifications.
Mix and Match for the result desired on different meats.

Just me.

TIM

I do the same as the Kapn.

Mixing hickory and mesquite is very strong to me. I'll mix hickory with fruit woods when smoking chicken and ribs but on butts it's straight hickory.

To quote Dr. BBQ's book... mesquite tastes like the devil's ass crack! I use hickory and tone it down with cherry and apple.

I have been using 75% pecan and 25% oak with butt and ribs and really liking it in the WSM. Not too strong. Nice and mellow.

I used to always mix with this general rule of thumb - 50% hickory, 50% apple and/or cherry. Then, this past fall I went to one of BBQChef's wood sources - Prianti Farms and got my entire car loaded up. Stupid me, did not ask for specific woods as it was all in one big mountain. Nor could I probably identify most of them on my own.

I've done about a half dozen cooks since with this mixed batch of split logs. I have not been able to make any noticeable distinction between specific combo I used to use and I'm pleased with the results.

I do know there's no mesquite and that's fine by my taste buds....

Every one has favorites, any kind of wood is OK with me as long as its cherry. I almost alway blend with others depending on what I'm cooking. Cherry w/ apple for pork loin, w/ apple & hickory for ribs, w/hickory for brisket.
Only thing I use one wood on is chicken, apple only all the way.

For a single wood, pecan is my favorite, followed by cherry and apple. I too like to mix fruit woods.

I start my salmon with alder/apple and finish it with cherry for the red color.

fe687265.jpg

But for dry ribs I go cherry all the way.

e45d672e.jpg

I'm on my second box of guava and really like it.

thirdeye said:
For a single wood, pecan is my favorite, followed by cherry and apple. I too like to mix fruit woods.

I start my salmon with alder/apple and finish it with cherry for the red color.

I'm on my second box of guava and really like it.

I am not a Salmon fan--but that looks, well, it looks YUMMY!
I could hit/try that :lol:

Still have my box of Guava from Greg to try--just "Busy MOD" :twisted:
Maybe week after next!

Thanks,

TIM

I mix a lot of the time. I'll start my fire with Kingsford, and usually toss in a split or more of mesquite to get the pit up to temp a little faster. I'll cook with mostly oak or pecan. The burn is stable and easy to manage. For different flavors I'll mix in some small splits of hickory and/or mesquite depending on the flavor I'm looking for on any given day.

i always mix....

oak or hickory for heat.... fruit woods for flavor.

sometimes, brikets or beef cuts will get a few chunks of mesquite mixed with alot of oak.. and im mean a few chunks, maybe 8-10 over the cook of a brisket... 1 or 2 for a prime rib..... IMO..mesquite is some strong stuff and gets bitter real quick.

I often mix hickory with fruit wood like apple or pear. It keeps the hickory from going over the top. pear wood is also easy to find in Wichita.

As you can see, we like to mix it up. I'm with Thirdeye, Pecan rocks but very hard to come by up here in Michigan. I mostly cook with cherry, maple and apple.

Oak for heat, it's the easiest to get here. Maple or Fruitwood for flavor. With beef I'll add a little hickory or mesquite, store bought in a bag. That stuff doesn't grow here. Pecan is too hard to get or I would try it.

I usually mix mesquite and hickory with some occasional pecan if I have it. Haven't had any complaints about the mixture being "over the top", only when I only use one. I mixed in some oak over the holidays, but it didn't make a tremendous difference.

I mix maple, cherry, oak, hickory and cherry almost indiscriminately! I use mostly apple and cherry because that is what a friend gave me several cords of. I also like oak. For some reason, I have trouble getting Hickory here. I find that whatever you use last leaves it's mark the most. Woodman

I use oak and pecan mixture most of the time. Sometimes Oak and a little mesquite.

Back