WSM Maiden Voyage

bscott

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I received a 18" WSM for Christmas and have yet to give it a try. Just been busy between kids activities and work.

Well.....this is the weekend. I bought a 9lb pork butt ($1.29/lb) and about 6 lbs of chicken thighs ($0.99/lb). The chicken thighs will become pulled chicken for the wife - she's got something against pork.

I plan on trimming up and rubbing the butt this evening and putting it on around midnight or so. Once it's done, I'll increase the temp of the smoker and throw the thighs on for a couple of hours.

Trying to keep everything simple, taste wise. Probably just a little salt and pepper under the skin of the chicken. Haven't decided on the pork butt yet.

I too have the WSM and like the idea of the pulled chicken. Many people have talked about the skin and how to crisp it with the WSM, pulled chicken takes the stress away, especially on the first smoke. Have fun!

Sounds yummy
Best of luck on maiden voyage

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk

Congratulations on the new WSM. It is a great smoker.

If you don't mind me saying, normally you don't want to cook chicken over the top of pork due to potential contamination. Pork over chicken is fine.

This isn't easy to do with a 18.5" WSM unless you have room for both on one grate.

Congratulations on the new WSM. It is a great smoker.

If you don't mind me saying, normally you don't want to cook chicken over the top of pork due to potential contamination. Pork over chicken is fine.

This isn't easy to do with a 18.5" WSM unless you have room for both on one grate.

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't planning on putting the chicken on until the pork is off, resting comfortably in a cooler. I don't think the thighs will take too long and it will give the pork time to rest and get pulled.

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't planning on putting the chicken on until the pork is off, resting comfortably in a cooler. I don't think the thighs will take too long and it will give the pork time to rest and get pulled.

Dang. You said that in your original post. :icon_blush: I need to read slower.

If you take the smoked chicken skins, Julienne them then fry them until they are crispy you can add them back into the pulled chicken, and they taste like little bits of chicken bacon.

Post some photos of your setup and process later tonight :) I'm thinking about making a short video on how I cook mine...

Decided to go with ribs and chicken instead of pork butt and chicken. Didn't feel like getting up in the middle of the night this weekend. Maybe next weekend for the Superbowl.

Anyway, meat is on. Chicken on the bottom, ribs on top. Went with 3 chunks of hickory for smoke and water in the water pan. Seasoned both the chicken and ribs with some simple Lawry's season salt. WSM seems to be settling in around 225-240.

Will try to get some pron when they come off in a few hours.

Back