• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

A Venison Pastrami Sandwich

cowgirl

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
From this years buck...
I hope the pic doesn't offend anyone....

2cbcc5c9-1.jpg

I trimmed a hind end roast...

7de25813-1.jpg

butterflied it a bit to even out the thickness..

74baa509-1.jpg

used my favorite recipe. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56614

seasoned with a mixture of
The cure...this is enough for 5lbs of meat
5 tablespoons Tender Quick
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground paprika
1 teaspoon ground bay leaves
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
This is enough to do 5lb of meat.

8caa1c03-1.jpg

c301b4c1-1.jpg

Rubbed the cure into the meat, let it cure for 5 days, rinsed and soaked in fresh water for a couple of hours, then seasoned again with a mix of
garlic, allspice, crushed juniper berries, onion powder, crushed bay leaves and mustard seeds

29b1dcc2-1.jpg

made a mixture of cheeses and bacon to smoke a bit.

20c1d141-1.jpg

caramelized some onions... added kraut, smoked the cheese disc, added beef stock to the venison pastrami during the last 30 minutes, then toasted some bread.

de9b5488-1.jpg

0dcb1884-1.jpg

c24ec6a4-1.jpg

the smokey cheese disc...

fd9f08b7-1.jpg

4d3e7bdf-1.jpg

The venison pastrami, kraut with caramelized onions, smokey cheese, grilled bread, spicy brown mustard and russian dressing...

af98b58c-1.jpg

....and my sammich. :)

e51592f5-1.jpg

I really didn't shoot a deer just for a sandwich... he will keep me fed this winter. :)

Thanks for looking!

Aaaaa! meat comes from dead animals? NOOOO! That does look like a good sandwich Jeanie.

For a winter of sandwiches like that I'll take out a deer... I ain't gonna even lie! :wink:

Awesome as always Jeanie! :clap:

Cheers

Now thats a sammie
Looks good as usual

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk

How was the taste and texture compared to typical pastrami? I have a bunch of venison on the freezer from the little 4 pointer i shot this winter and venison pastami sounds interesting.

I have a freezer full of venison rump roasts from the 3 doe I killed this year, and I've been wanting to make venison pastrami for a while. Seeing this post is going to push me to do it.

Thank you friends! It's one of my favorite ways to prepare venison. :-D

How was the taste and texture compared to typical pastrami? I have a bunch of venison on the freezer from the little 4 pointer i shot this winter and venison pastami sounds interesting.

Zak the flavor is great, tastes pretty much like regular pastrami. The seasonings add so much flavor. Since the meat is so lean, steaming with beef stock really helps keep moisture in. Hope you give it a try sometime. Let me know how it goes if you do! Thanks... :)

I don't think you could ever offend me!:love:

lol Chris, that's good to know! Thanks!! :becky:

• Thanks
Reactions: Zak
Back