Mounting an FEC on a camper

monty3777

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
My neighbor Jeff has mounted his Backwoods Fatboy on a hitch and carries it to comps on the back of his camper. Have any of you done the same thing with an FEC? If so, would you be willing to share how you did it? I am a little leery after what happened to Big Mike (although it didn't hurt his scores in State Center!).

I did that with my first rv. It went in the hitch and carried my FE, generator and gas cans... strapped down everything. It worked.

Thanks guys. I humbled that a world champion and a 180 winner would bother with little old me :redface: :heh:

Thanks guys. I humbled that a world champion and a 180 winner would bother with little old me :redface: :heh:

I always have time for someone who gives me little pink piggy shortbread cookies in Waterloo! (hint hint hint) :becky:

I always have time for someone who gives me little pink piggy shortbread cookies in Waterloo! (hint hint hint) :becky:

Done and done

My dream is an Extreme BBQ trailer, but I'm tryingto figure out how to do this with kids. Maybe both ???? :)

I have no interest in doing this--so a pure curiosity question.

I can understand the receiver carrying the vertical weight--they are rated for a 1000# (or so) tongue weight normally.

But, how is the "side to side" loads dealt with? As in rocking back and forth from side to side.
Seems to me that a lot of "twisting" stress would be on the reciever if it is not stabilized on each side of the hitch.

Like I said--just curious.

TIM

I have no interest in doing this--so a pure curiosity question.

I can understand the receiver carrying the vertical weight--they are rated for a 1000# (or so) tongue weight normally.

But, how is the "side to side" loads dealt with? As in rocking back and forth from side to side.
Seems to me that a lot of "twisting" stress would be on the reciever if it is not stabilized on each side of the hitch.

Like I said--just curious.

TIM

Excellent question. i guess some sort of tiedowns could be used to stabilize the load.

Nate, James offers the option of living quarters in his trailers. Also, you could look at a Toy Hauler. There is a beauty available in Des Moines :thumb:

It's a matter of $$$$. I can pick up a used trailer for around $2000. I also need to be able to tow it with my Yukon, so a 5th wheel is out. I spoke with James and one of his trailers would be my first choice, but that would mean that I wouldn't be able to keep the kids with me on site.

On another note, it would be nice to have something to take on fishing trips :thumb:

I think I have until next season to get this all figured out. I don't know if you have noticed, but I'm no good at making decisions :heh::icon_blush:

This year I have gone from an FEC to a Jambo, back to my FEC on a race car trailer, and who knows what else I'll use by the end of the year. I even used my Horizon a couple of times in KC. It sure would be nice to settle on something :drama:

It's a matter of $$$$. I can pick up a used trailer for around $2000. I also need to be able to tow it with my Yukon, so a 5th wheel is out. I spoke with James and one of his trailers would be my first choice, but that would mean that I wouldn't be able to keep the kids with me on site.

On another note, it would be nice to have something to take on fishing trips :thumb:

I think I have until next season to get this all figured out. I don't know if you have noticed, but I'm no good at making decisions :heh::icon_blush:

This year I have gone from an FEC to a Jambo, back to my FEC on a race car trailer, and who knows what else I'll use by the end of the year. I even used my Horizon a couple of times in KC. It sure would be nice to settle on something :drama:

It is always fun reading your posts. :becky:

BTW - Build a drum and don't worry about them other cookers. :cool:

It is always fun reading your posts. :becky:

BTW - Build a drum and don't worry about them other cookers. :cool:

As far as cookers go, I don't need to ever look any further than my FEC. :boxing::heh:

At least I have that much figured out :bow::laugh:

I love these little faces. Look, here's me trying to keep my mouth shut :tape:
Here's me having a good idea (don't use this one often) :mod:
Here's me being me :cool:

The side to side or twisting action is what bothered me also. That is why I built my own platform that has two recievers connected to the motor home. My problem was not in the platform or connection to the moto rhome but in the connection of the cooker to the platform. I was using turn buckles to tie cooker down and they gave way. I used to use straps but they were crushing in the top of my BWS. My wife has told me now that the smoker is not going back on that platform. So I said that means a new trailer. (always look for those silver linings) Nate I am in the same postion you are, I need a place for my family to stay with me at the comps. There are 2 solutions. one have a motor home pull a trailer (or just get a toy hauler) or get a trailer that you empty out and have fold down bunks. we were cosidering getting rid of the motor home and getting a smaller travel trailer but that is not going to happen now. Hope to see you again on the BBQ trail with us both having something new to show off.

Big Mike

Back