The Weber Smokey Mountain Appreciation Thread

Popping her cherry early in the morning like the Gap Band.

DSCN4541-1.jpg

Later that day, standing guard.

DSCN4558.jpg

Another day and still guarding!

IMG_7640_1.jpg

He wont quit!

IMG_7646.jpg

I learned on a Char Griller offset, but got tired of having to tend it constantly on long cooks. Bought a 22.5 WSM over a year ago, best $400 I ever spent.

I use a weed burner to light my Blue K. MY WSM loves it.

5620490521_123db8625d_b.jpg

Great idea using the little wsm ring, Michael. I wouldn't go any other way on a big wsm for shorter cooks. :thumb:

By the way, what's the advantage of lighting with a torch? I used one all the time to light my old UDS, but I usually just dump about a chimney's worth on top in my little wsm. I use so much lit from the beginning since I usually load it up and use water in the pan.

Great idea using the little wsm ring, Michael. I wouldn't go any other way on a big wsm for shorter cooks. :thumb:

By the way, what's the advantage of lighting with a torch? I used one all the time to light my old UDS, but I usually just dump about a chimney's worth on top in my little wsm. I use so much lit from the beginning since I usually load it up and use water in the pan.

A chimney takes 20-30 minutes to get the coals hot. With a tourch, I can get the coals ready to go in about 3 minutes! :thumb:

Here's me and two of my WSMs at our one contest last year.
10th chicken
10th ribs
5th brisket
10th overall.
Yeah. We pretty much rocked.
WYC1.jpg

My babies on thier first smoke last winter, the poor ol' otg was feeling left out, so I used her as a table.
DSCF01302.jpg

Great thread!

I have never BBQd before in my life, I have only grilled. So I was nervous to buy a smoker when I have never cooked like that before in my life. After weeks of searching I finally decided on the WSM. Best decision of my life. I have screwed up a few cooks but most of it was my fault and bot the smokers fault. It holds temperatures like nobody's business and it can hold A LOT of BBQ. I have the 22.5" WSM and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a smoker. It may cost more but the piece of mind and successful cooks are more than worth it.

Great thread!

I have never BBQd before in my life, I have only grilled. So I was nervous to buy a smoker when I have never cooked like that before in my life. After weeks of searching I finally decided on the WSM. Best decision of my life. I have screwed up a few cooks but most of it was my fault and bot the smokers fault. It holds temperatures like nobody's business and it can hold A LOT of BBQ. I have the 22.5" WSM and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a smoker. It may cost more but the piece of mind and successful cooks are more than worth it.

I wish I could have said that. :p

I couldn't agree with you more. :thumb:

Old WSM's came with them. If you are lucky enough you can salvalge one from an old kettle lid too.

Back