Roadside sales????

My numbers are tainted. I only have done vending on Fri and Sats. Also I am the only one that vended at all for BBQ within 50 miles. The money was excellent, I could sell out almost every night barring rain. I usually smoked 6 butts per day and about 10 racks. Bulk sales made up a big part of my numbers.

I have a roadside BBQ Trailer I built myself. Went to the HD got all the info and worked with them. We are legit and running for 2 years now. Six days a week. We have a tax permit and charge tax on each sale. I put in credit card machine and that increased my sales to. This is all I do for a living and it has worked well for me. So good luck on yours if go into it. If I can help in anyway send me a message.

I have a roadside BBQ Trailer I built myself. Went to the HD got all the info and worked with them. We are legit and running for 2 years now. Six days a week. We have a tax permit and charge tax on each sale. I put in credit card machine and that increased my sales to. This is all I do for a living and it has worked well for me. So good luck on yours if go into it. If I can help in anyway send me a message.

Ummm....we'll need pics of that. :thumb:

I opened M thru F, 10 to 5. Saturdays were for catering and Sunday's were market vending.
I set myself a modest goal of $500 in sales a day. Took me 3 weeks to hit those numbers. My market spot was a guaranteed sellout. My weekly spot went up and down with the weather with absolutely NO consistency.
At the end of the season I showed a profit.

I loved this job & wish you all the luck. Gladly answer any questions ya have. :thumb:

Here ya go

S4022364.jpg

M271-
Does your HD have any issues w/ using a hoursehold refrigerator vs. an NSF approved one? Not meaning to pick, just curious. I know some state HD's would. I know I can get household alot cheaper, and if I could do it I would too.
Thanks for the pics BTW.
JR

Most HDs will not allow a non NSF refrigerator, nor would I recommend using one.

You can pick up a good unit for $1200, they are made to easily clean and built to keep large amounts of food cold.

YMMV

IMHO, if a home refer can keep product to proper temp (be it cold or frozed), and can be easily cleaned, I would have no problems w/ using one. I might have to get more than one for capacity sake, but hey, if I can pick up 2 for the price of half of a commercial unit... AND, I can replace/repair, easier/cheaper if needed. Commercial grade isn't always better I have found.
BUT... I know that some folks in some states are only supposed to use NSF refers/freezers... sounds like big govt kick back from the NSF or the commercial manufacturers to me
HOWEVER... I think it would be wise to say, that IF I plan on doing gigs out of state and that state's (whatever it may be) HD requires ONLY NSF w/o exception... then perhaps I should got to the higher level and get the NSF models...just in case...

In my county it must be commercial fridge/freezer. They are designed to have quicker recovery from when the doors are opened often as well as easier to clean as per my HD inspector.

If price is an issue, there are other options than the $1200 units. I picked up a used merchandiser cooler. The kind they have the bottled soft drinks by the registers at the grocery store with the glass door. They are commercial and my HD instpector approves them. I have $240 invested in mine. I just need another shelf or 2.

Going into debt to start a catering business or restaurant when you have no experience is guaranteed to be a loser. Your 'micro' lenders will end up losing and I bet they are relatives so you will not only lose their money but also their friendship. Start with what you can fund yourself and do catering jobs until you build up a following, save your profits and reinvest in the business until you can fund a larger operation.

Back