Corned Beef

Drew

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
First attempt at corned beef.
Soaked in water for two hours and then made a rub of peppercorns, coriander seeds, onion powder, thyme, garlic powder and paprika.
Rubbed, wrapped and into the fridge overnight.

Took 6 hours at 300F to reach 185F inside.

I came out pretty good, I normally just boil corned beef..... Not any more! :becky:
It was so tender that it was falling apart as I sliced.

DSCF3830.jpg

DSCF3826.jpg

DSC07709a.jpg

That looks like your pastrami started out as a corned round roast. I really like those and keep an eye out for them. They don't have a heavy fat cap like a corned brisket, but you can see the even marbeling of fat in my photo (this one had been chilled).​

That looks great, Drew! We have one store around here hat regularly carries corned rounds instead of briskets. As Thirdeye said, they don't have as much fat as a brisket, so they can dry out very easily. It looks like yours was perfect!

BTW, technically you made pastrami, which is smoked corned beef.

That really looks great! I haven't seen a corned round before, I'll have to ask my butcher.

Looks good to me. I'll take some rye bread, swiss cheese and kraut with mine. Nice work.

Thanks everyone, I am a fan of corned beef (or in this case pastrami :-D)
The other plus is that it is very cheap over here. $9 normally gets you one that is around 4lb.
I had already sliced a fair amount for tea (pastrami and sauerkraut sandwiches) before I remembers to take pics :icon_blush:

That is a good looking hunk of meat you cooked there

Very nice. Big Al was just asking when we would be doing some pastrami - he has a hankering for some hash.

Back