UDS Cart and KUDS

colonel00

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Here is my cart I built to hold two UDS as well as providing a work surface, lighting, storage, etc. There are also a couple pics including my almost complete KUDS (yes Baylor, K-State, and MU fans I know we lost). I tried to keep the cart build simple following the UDS mantra of K.I.S.S. and keep it cheap. Most of the parts were scavanged.

DSCN0816.jpg

I started with an A/V cart like you would find in a school classroom. At least you used to find them in classrooms before flat panel TVs and mini DVD players.

DSCN0699.jpg

I cut the top shelf and moved it back to have a smaller top shelf.

DSCN0700.jpg

The support frame was built out of old bed frame pieces. In the following pics you can see how the main beams were cut out and attached.

DSCN0702.jpg

DSCN0703.jpg

DSCN0704.jpg

Here you can see the progress with a barrel sitting on the rails.

DSCN0709.jpg

I then used some other rails to box in the barrel boxes. I did cheat here as I have a welder. However, I am sure it could be done with a few bolts too.

DSCN0711.jpg

Here the top shelf is attached and the barrel boxes are in place. I had to smoke something to be sure it was functional :thumb:

DSCN0716.jpg

I picked up a bunch of tile samples from a design store that went into forclosure. So, I smashed the pieces and did a mosaic top to the shelves.

DSCN0802.jpg

I added expanded steel to the barrel supports and got it all painted up.

DSCN0801.jpg

Added a peg board to hold necessary items and got grout down on the tile.

DSCN0811.jpg

On the bottom shelf I mounted a pull out rack to hold cooking grates. One of the things I have found is that if your UDS has two racks and you need to get to the bottom one, you have no place to put the top rack especially if it is full of meat. Problem solved. All it is is an old CD rack cut in half and mounted to two rails. Then the rails are mounted to two drawer slides.

DSCN0813.jpg

DSCN0812.jpg

Completed (for now). I did find a telescoping desk lamp at a garage sale and attached it to the top as well. Very handy for cooking in the dark. There are also some support cables running down to each corner of the barrel rails. Since I welded my rails it is not completely necessary but if anyone emulates this with out a welder, it is probably a good idea.

DSCN0815.jpg

Thanks for looking.

wow, thats one sweet looking rig. sorry about your team this year.:heh:

Yeah well, we are rebuilding. That is my excuse and I'm sticking to it. I actually thought about getting a Weber lid painted like a basketball.

maybe im missing it but where is the bottle opener and cup holder

Guilt as charged. Rest assured, it is in the plans though. It's just one of those minor details I haven't gotten to. Mostly because I wanted to have some swing out shelves for extra work space. Until I figure that out, I didnt want to mount the opener and cup holders.

Uhm Yeah, what he said.:p Just kidding, I like the light weight design for mobility.

It started out light weight but the steel of the bedrails and the tile have added a bit of weight. I have another cart that I plan to go uber-light on and have it mountable to a ball hitch for transport.

Very nice UDS cart. I like the tile mosaic on the shelves. It gave a great idea for my UDS cart I'll work on during the winter.

Great idea, very well thought out. Thanks for posting I will keep your build in mind when I build a new cart for my UDS's .

Nice job on the cart. Gives me some ideas for one I've been thinking about too!

That is NICE!!!!!!!

Thanks. It was a fun little project and has served me well over the last year. Currently I am working on another one that is a little more flexible in what it can do. I just need the heat to let up so I can get it finished up.

IMAG0304.jpg

Back