• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

KCBS awards ceremony question

ZILLA

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
When the awards are taking place and the winners are being announced do you see teams getting up and leaving before they announce GC and RGC before it's all over?

Darwin, i think we see it happen in IBCA & LSBS because people usually know the top 2 before they even announce them.

Yep Ty, Your right and it really pisses me off. I just wondered if the KCBS folks experience the same thing.

Only if it's raining.

You'd look like a total tool, and everybody has to wait until the end to get their score sheets anyway.

Most of the time, I see that it's people running up for score sheets, but not leaving the awards.

Ive seen the GC leave the contest before awards were announced...bad form imho...

Leaving a contest before rewards shows no respect to the organizer or anyone else involved witht he contest. If you are that important or have that many things to do, that you have to run out from a contest, then don't go. It was done at Thom's contest and it was bullsh!t. that team should of planned his time better. Can't hang around for an extra 2 hours for awards? Too bad.

It's just simple common decency to stay for all the awards. No matter how foregone a conclusion the GC is, or RGC, there is never a reason to leave early. In my mind, if you can't stay for all of it, just stay in your pit and pack your gear.

Seems like the further south I go the worse it is. At some contests it seems like most folks treat the announcement of GC as a minor formality. The Judging officials try very hard to tabulate the overall scores as quick as they can so there are still some folks around to announce to. I wish there was a way to correct this. To me it's like a dinner guest getting up when they're done eating and going home without a word to the hosts.

Down here since only the top 10 in each category gets points, it not as wide a margin as KCBS. But it bugs me as well. I usually have the trailer packed and ready to go after awards since I usually have to get up at 4:30 the next morning, but I stick around till the end. What's an extra 5 minutes?

In my area, It seems alot of cooks are tired of seeing the same cooks win. I actually try to improve techniques and flavor profiles to join them in the walks. Seems alot just want to keep cooking the same and moan about who's in the top 10.

Down here since only the top 10 in each category gets points, it not as wide a margin as KCBS. But it bugs me as well. I usually have the trailer packed and ready to go after awards since I usually have to get up at 4:30 the next morning, but I stick around till the end. What's an extra 5 minutes?

In my area, It seems alot of cooks are tired of seeing the same cooks win. I actually try to improve techniques and flavor profiles to join them in the walks. Seems alot just want to keep cooking the same and moan about who's in the top 10.

Exactly! They don't realise that winning in BBQ is like shooting a moving target. I just wish that folks general politeness, which most have plenty of, would carry over to awards too. I gues it's just a bad habit.

Besides, around here if you hang around, you can get a chance of a taste of the winning boxes. Best way to help determine a flavor profile.

We have used the tabulation time (IBCA) to announce winners in another category
such as best booth (I know I know WTF is that, crowds love pink barns)
It helps those poor ADHD cooks who can't wait a few min. more
Walking the Top 5 overall really is a crowd favorite

Never at a KCBS comp, but I have seen this happen at BOTB, way back (heheh) in 05 and 06... That is slightly different though, because teams only cook 3 out of 4 categories. If they didnt happen to cook the last category, some picked up their chairs and left.
I have to admit though, it was a little strange.
But then again, they thought us Yanks were MORE than a little strange for yelling and cheering for anyone other than ourselves.

And I completely agree ... recognizing the Top 5 (or Top 10 if its a big enough contest) is a HUGE crowd favorite! Even if there isnt anything for it but hearing your name called from the stage.

Back