foiling question...

CUTigerQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I love a dark bark on my butts (that didn't sound good when I read it aloud), but have been foiling them in the cooler after taking them off of smoker and before pulling...is this not giving me the best bark?

I don't know - as I always foil them before they go in the cooler too, but I am curious to hear anyone else's take on it. I like my bark nice and dark too, but I've felt very satisfied with my bark development on pulled pork.

My bark's always great, foiling to rest up to 6 hrs or so. I'm probably gonna start foiling some time before pulling off the pit, though. I'd think that must be ok as that's what most competitors do to hold in moisture.

I always foil mine for at least 30 minutes in a cooler after removing, so I also don't know how the other half rolls. But I will say that I've never seen bark get lighter after being foiled, even up to 3-4 hours. I've seen it get moister/softer, but never a change in color.

Color doesn't really change. Foil will soften the bark. Letting the butt rest allows Moisture to redistribute and make the meat moist. If you slice or pull right away, a lot of moisture will be lost.........but you will have crunchier crust. Pick your poison.

If your bark consists of only the rub then it will always get mushy in the foil. If your bark consists of light rub and roasted meat all cooked together then it will hold up better. You may be putting too much rub on the meat.

try butcher paper instead of foil(popdaddy mod). after 5 hours in a cooler and couldn't slice through this dark, crispy, crunchy, delicious bark.

Last edited:
Back