BBQ @ the Beach State Championship - Raystown, PA Sept. 17-19th"

I'm doing a short demo and food tasting at this tuesday's wake up reception taking place at the visitor's center. It's open to everyone so if you are in the area, stop over! I'll be doing some wings in the new pit for sampling.

It's 930-1030am.

Not sure if I fully answered people asking earlier - Yes there are campsites nearby and actually on the grounds of the 7 points recreation area. You can make reservations at the following link - http://raystown.nab.usace.army.mil/Camping/seven_points_camp.htm

If you have any questions, you can feel free to contact myself via PM although it's safe to ask here, or you can call Ed Stoddard at 888-RAYSTOWN x11. He is my partner in setting this up.

Thanks!

Sal - we doing a seafood boil at this comp? I've been thinking of netting a bunch of crayfish here locally for my own boil! lol. That greenlane boil last year has been craving another!

I'm doing a short demo and food tasting at this tuesday's wake up reception taking place at the visitor's center. It's open to everyone so if you are in the area, stop over! I'll be doing some wings in the new pit for sampling.

It's 930-1030am.

Not sure if I fully answered people asking earlier - Yes there are campsites nearby and actually on the grounds of the 7 points recreation area. You can make reservations at the following link - http://raystown.nab.usace.army.mil/Camping/seven_points_camp.htm

If you have any questions, you can feel free to contact myself via PM although it's safe to ask here, or you can call Ed Stoddard at 888-RAYSTOWN x11. He is my partner in setting this up.

Thanks!

Sal - we doing a seafood boil at this comp? I've been thinking of netting a bunch of crayfish here locally for my own boil! lol. That greenlane boil last year has been craving another!

we could do a big feed on Friday night, the boil was fun but its been done b4, a fish fry maybe, or a big pot luck...:thumb:

we could do a big feed on Friday night, the boil was fun but its been done b4, a fish fry maybe, or a big pot luck...:thumb:
Whatever you need, just let me know. I dont think I can candle organizing another thing with this event (lol) but I can give you tent space or anything else you may need to pull it off. Are you then organizing the potluck/team dinner? :wink:

Whatever you need, just let me know. I dont think I can candle organizing another thing with this event (lol) but I can give you tent space or anything else you may need to pull it off. Are you then organizing the potluck/team dinner? :wink:

An excellent nomination, Sal the job is your and if you need any help I'd be more than willing :becky:

Thanks for volunteering:clap2:

An excellent nomination, Sal the job is your and if you need any help I'd be more than willing :becky:

Thanks for volunteering:clap2:

I didnt know I was volunteering!!!!!!!

so,are we going fancy = steak and fish etc...
or fun...burgers,dogs etc..

let me know what everyones thoughts are.

Sal

well here are some themes:

1. It’s a Small World
    An International Potluck with specialties from around the world creates a bold, engaging atmosphere. Invite a smorgasbord of Italian, French, German, African, Moroccan, Indian, Canadian, Greek, Mexican, Chinese, Japanese, or Thai cuisine into your menu. From an authentic antipasto salad to a Chinese chicken slaw, the possibilities are endless!
  2. Mexican Fiesta
    Everything about the Mexican Potluck emphasizes family, friends and tradition. Tortilla chips & guacamole, taco shells, refried beans, seasoned shredded chicken or ground beef, fajitas, enchiladas, Spanish rice and diced mango will really give your potluck old world sizzle.
  3. Breakfast for Dinner
    A Breakfast Potluck featuring an assortment of rich and delicious breakfast items is always a huge crowd pleaser. Pancakes, eggs, bacon, hash browns, biscuits, country ham, French toast, coffee cake, sausage, cheese quiche and a variety of jellies, jams and syrups will have even your finicky eaters asking for seconds.
  4. Southern BBQ
    There are few things in the South more universally revered than good southern barbecue potluck. A good old plentiful potluck may include culinary delights like cornbread squares or muffins, baked beans, bbq pulled pork or beef sandwiches, cole slaw, macaroni & cheese, peach cobbler or cherry pie.
  5. Alphabet Soup
    With 26 letters to choose from, pick one and run with it! Things that start with "C" may become a creative cornucopia that can include chili, chowder, chicken, carrots, cauliflower, calamari, chips, cucumbers, corn, couscous, cake, coconut, cookies, curly fries, chocolate and candy.
  6. Memory Lane
    A Comfort Food Potluck has its own unique style and invokes feelings of nostalgia and warmth. Home style favorites like macaroni and cheese, chicken & dumplings, chili, mashed potatoes, pork chops & gravy, meatloaf, apple pie and chocolate chip cookies are a few potluck hall of famers.
  7. Heart & Soul
    A Soul Food Potluck is a tasteful delight for all to experience and enjoy at least once, and this creative theme is a favorite among cooks and food lovers alike. Potluck showstoppers may include fried chicken, pork ribs, succotash, corn bread, okra, black eyed peas, shrimp and grits, fried green tomatoes, collard greens and beans over rice.
  8. Giving Thanks
    It doesn’t have to be Thanksgiving Day to give thanks and host a party that features all of your holiday favorites. Even if you get a new twist on an old classic, roasted turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, yams, green bean casserole and pumpkin pie can be enjoyed all year round.
  9. The Last Meal
    This unique potluck theme lets your guests choose any item to bring… as long as it begins with the first letter of their last name. Sarah Smith can bring spaghetti, Barbara Brown can bring buffalo wings, Mary Martin can bring mud pie and so on….and so on.
  10. Barnyard Fun
    For a fun down-home feel, you can enjoy a collection of dishes made from anything you would find on a farm. This theme offers a wide variety of food, from vegetarian to meat-inspired, plus the usual range of desserts and breads. There is a lot to choose from but popular meals are barnyard stew, chicken pot pie, roasted pork, sliced turkey, creamed corn, fresh fruits and vegetables, egg salad and zucchini bread to name a few.

I have 3 nominations for themes I think would be fun.

German Theme! - brats, beer, cabbage and did I say beer?

Creole - nuff said?

Hawaiian luau - PIGS, pineapples, tiki torches, coconut bikinis.. :thumb:

As long as Sal gets in a coconut bikini, you know what I'm voting for!!

if you are planing on competing at this event and would like to attend the Friday night "pot luck" let me know so we can look at a menu/theme.thanks!!

Sal

This just in from the Raystown office, They are calling this a stimulus package...

The powers that be would like to get the applications rolling in and is not so concerned with the payments right now so they are offering extending the early entry fee set to expire this week to anyone who gets their team applications in now. The payment will need to be in within 30 days to get the $25 off the entry fee.

ok so get your applications in mailed before Friday and get the lower entry fee rate. payment will be due in 30 days. Any questions? Sorry I'm just relaying the message. I'll now take questions. :-D

BBQ at the Beach

Just mailed the check today. Looking forward to my first competition! I'm sure I'll have some laughs! Team F & F Bar-B-Q

Yep. Right between Lancaster and Reading. My neighbor and I have been smoking for a couple years and I've taken it pretty seriously. Bought a Meadow Creek TS250 in the spring and I've probably annoyed Ed with my emailing since then making sure there was still a spot. We'll have a bunch of folks with us to witness us and drink some beer. Now I'll ask all my questions on this thread:idea:

Been keeping an eye on this thread for a while before actually taking the plunge and registering. It certainly seems like there are bunch of good people involved with these things! The help and tips and all that is awesome. I'm just starting to put my list together and I'm quickly learning I would have not thought of a whole bunch of little stuff without this and other threads!

Filly - I dont think you've annoyed Ed at all! We are here to help you and make this as enjoyable and comfortable as possible for the competitors. If the teams are happy, the people will come. We are glad you will be coming! If you would like, we are planning a judges class at the visitors center for thursday before the event so Sept 16th. I will post more info as that becomes available. I know I will be taking it just so it will help me in my competitions.

PS - waffles and fried chicken is an awesome idea!

Back