Fire Control

Chef Jim

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Did Ribs on Sat. It was windy, almost right into the fire box. Had no problem with controlling the heat. Today, It's calm and I'm doing a chuck. Can't seem to keep the heat up, (don't even think it).

I'm using a lot more charcoal than I did before, any suggestions?

BTW I'n running the BD wide open.

Did Ribs on Sat. It was windy, almost right into the fire box. Had no problem with controlling the heat. Today, It's calm and I'm doing a chuck. Can't seem to keep the heat up, (don't even think it).

I'm using a lot more charcoal than I did before, any suggestions?

BTW I'n running the BD wide open.

Blow in the fire box? :p

Did you move your coals/sticks close to the smoker opening/baffle? I have found that can make a huge difference!

Spoken like a true Texan. :shock:

Well.....uhh, actually my shop air compressor is always on and the air hose is only six feet from my grill. I admit I have, on occasions, when no ones looking, stoked the fire with the air nozzle.:laugh: It sure does work!:p

You want something thats works... Break out a STHIL yard blower... or what ever brand you have... Good for starting chimneys also...

You will get twice the heat from a wood fire than from a charcoal fire or wood/charcoal fire.

Stick Burners Rule!!!!

Could be a bad batch of charcoal. Happens sometimes. The charcoal is harder to burn and the temps never get very high.

Back