Where to buy St. Louis Cut Spares?-Chicagoland area

gotwood

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I'm sick of buying spares at Costco and Sam's.
And its not the extra prep work involved, it's the miserable yield I get.
After removing the St. Louis cuts the leftovers are almost all but useless, so much of the remaining parts are 75% + cartilage/tendon etc.....some much higher. Also I find the racks I'm left with to be a bit narrow.

Anyone know of a supplier where I can get St. Louis slabs of about 5"+ width???

Take the trimmings smoke them and then grind them up for baked beans trust me you wil love it

Woodman's at Orchard Road and I-88 in Aurora has been carrying them so far this summer. That's a haul for you, unfortunately.

Woodman's at Orchard Road and I-88 in Aurora has been carrying them so far this summer. That's a haul for you, unfortunately.

If the price is right that is not that bad a trip for me.....im sw suburbs

I think he just doesn't want to pay by the pound for the trimmings.

Where I'm from St. Louis cuts are twice the price of spares.

Local grocery store has the current prices

Baby backs: $3.99/lb
St. Louis: $2.99/lb
Spares: $1.47

Extra bean meat for less money and about 5 minutes extra work.

I want to buy St. Louis for two reasons
1. I dont want trimmed spares that are 3" wide
2. The amount of meat im getting from the trimming is very small and probably drives the price of the spares over what I would be paying for St. Louis cut.

It's been a while, but have you tried Bobak's in Burr Ridge? Another place might be the Paulina Market on the North side (might be far for you though).

Make sure you eat lunch at Bobak's first! I miss it alot!

Bobak's is pretty much history.....feud between brothers....no more stores they only make sausages and sell em through grocery stores.
Paulina Market while having great product is outrageously priced.

As Ron said.. Woodman's. also the Restaurant Depot in alsip has IBP St. Louis. Why not take the trimmings and sell rib tips? It's Chicago. People fall over themselves to eat rib tips...

Most any place that sells slabs will cut them down for you. Even Jewels or Dominicks. They will weigh the whole slab then trim it as you want. That way you can direct them to leave a little more of the rib tips on thereby decreasing the 'leftovers'. BTW those leftovers make for some good eatin'. I have not found a place that sells just st louis cut at a price equal or better than a full slab minus the 'leftovers'.

Just went to Jewel today and they had buy one get one free St Louis Spare's. Full slab was around $14 and that gets ya two.

Bobak's is pretty much history.....feud between brothers....no more stores they only make sausages and sell em through grocery stores.
Paulina Market while having great product is outrageously priced.

What a tragedy... I loved Bobak's... back on topic now.

Back