• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Tool to shred meat - Recommendations

The best tools are the ones at the end of your arms. I do have some of the Bear Claws and they are good for the initial breakdown, I just like to feel for... and remove all the fatty deposits by hand.

:clap2: X2 ....... Fingers & eyes will tell you what needs to stay & go

I used nitrile gloves for the first time on my New Year butt and I must say I preferred the larger chunks to the result I get with my Bear Paws. Although with the finer shredded meat you get using tools over hands, you can usually get a couple more servings out of a butt.

Two pairs of nitril gloves and the Bear paws at the end of my wrists.

You were the villian on Enter the Dragon? That is too cooll!:becky:

I use my hands if the meat isnt too hot. If it is, I use the pvc gloves I got free when I ordered some rubs from Simply Marvelous.

I use the Raichlien gloves and meat rake combo for pulling/shredding and it makes quick work of all the pork and beef I've done since getting both

I use a cleaver and a turkey fork when I have few butts to do. However, when I have catering job and have about 24 -30 butts, I use my homemade version of the pork puller. I can shred 2 butts in about 30 seconds.

When we are cooking for big crowds of 200-300 we use the pork puller on a drill.

At home I just wear some heat proof BBQ gloves and UAE my hands.

If you get the pork up to 205 and then let it rest 30 mins or more it just falls apart easily.

I use my fingers, using nitrile gloves, here it a recent thread on similar topic
Honestly fellas, I was looking to spend some money, and make you guys "choose for me" where I spent it.
But I think Mr. PWA had the best answer right here.
Seems I've not been cooking my butt long enough. I was taking it to an internal temp of 160, wrapping it, coolering it, and using two table forks to shread it.
What a pain!!!!!!!!

But I think I need to wait another 40 degrees before I pull my butt.

Guys, I can't thank you enough. Not sure where I got my ideal I.T. of 160, but I thank you for my continued education.

"Meat on Brothers!"

• Thanks
Reactions: pwa
well I'll be damned I read that and I think this is part of my problem sometimes as well

Honestly fellas, I was looking to spend some money, and make you guys "choose for me" where I spent it.
Seems I've not been cooking my butt long enough. I was taking it to an internal temp of 160, wrapping it, coolering it, and using two table forks to shread it.
What a pain!!!!!!!!

Guys, I can't thank you enough. Not sure where I got my ideal I.T. of 160, but I thank you for my continued education.

"Meat on Brothers!"

I believe USDA says cook pork to internal temp of 160 for safety. However, for pork butts desired taste and tenderness, you @ least want to do until 180-200. If its a bone-in boston butt, once the bone wiggles freely, you are done. Think of it like a giant meat therm :thumb:

I think you've found most of your problem for pull -- I wouldn't want to attack a 160 degree butt with two forks either!! When the butt's properly cooked and rested, the main meat chunks will just fall off, the fatty areas will be either dissolved into yumminess or will just sheet off easily by hand. Then it doesn't take much finger pressure to break the meat into bite-sized chunks.

Another vote here for nitrile disposable gloves over cotton ones that are damn near disposable (like these http://www.harborfreight.com/general-merch/gloves/6-pairs-knit-gloves-46992.html ). You're insulated, but you can feel what you're doing.

What a pain!!!!!!!!

"Meat on Brothers!"

Like I said if you need power tools to pull apart your pork................

That is most likely your biggest problem. Take those suckers up to 200-205 then pull them apart. 160 is nice if you are doin a pork loin or something you want to slice but not even close to where you want it for pulling. If you can't cleanly pull out the bone with little effort, they aren't ready yet.

Great information, thanks guys.
Ya know, the best part, is that I've already got cotton gloves and laytex gloves for using with wood working projects.
Seems I had everything I needed.....except for the knowledge.

Can't wait for the next butt cook.

160 degree butt is fine for slicing but it would be mighty tough to pull. I have a pair of the Charcoal Companion metal units and they work well enough but I tend to end up with the pork shredded a bit finer than I really like it. I find that using my fingers wearing the Raichlen gloves gives me a better feel for the finished product. Besides, I keep punching holes in the foil pans using the metal jobbies. :rolleyes:

I got some Bear Paws for Christmas and the opening is plenty big for my hands. You'd have to have pretty big man hands not to fit through the opening.

Though I must say, I like the look of the implements your wife found on the internet.

I'm a big ole, 6-sammich, eatin fella with big mitts and the Bear Paws fit just fine for me.

Great product and darn near a weapon!!!!

I guess it depends on how much meat you have to pull. (Wait, did I just say that?!) :shock:

Seriously... I do it by hand using a pair of heat-resistant gloves if it's only one butt. For 2 or 3... I use my bear claws. I think if I was doing commercial work - I'd look into something like the drill attachment. Or invest in a giant cutting board and some cleavers.

Back